Old 02-15-2016   #1
Twin Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2011
Heading East

Hey guys me and my wife are heading to tennesse and north carolina for my friends wedding the end of may and we are planning on driving out and bringing our boats. I was just wondering of any guide companies to show us around, people I should get in contact with, and must hit rivers in the area. I would be looking for some class three to class four stuff with the possibility of some class five if the wifey is feeling up to it. Thank you!

dcasperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016   #2
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Depends on rain, but by May, they're saying the El Nino will be winding down, so rain dependant Southeast stuff will be winding down, or may have wound down almost entirely. Exceptions would be rivers with the goods downstream, like the Nolichucky and the Chatooga. You should do those anyway unless they're too low for fun. Dam controlled rivers like the Ocoee and Cheoah would be excellent backups. Gimme a location of the wedding and I can give better Beta. You also might try asking on, where a lot of SE locals hang out.

FallingH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016   #3
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Guides: River Gypsies; Ace Kayaking. Both really knowledgeable and experienced.
Old 02-15-2016   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
The Pigeon should be releasing around that time of year. Right on I-40 but also in a very impressive canyon.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016   #5
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
The Tellico, Wilson's Creek (natural flow, but stays surprisinly runnable) Watauga(same), West Fork Tuckaseigee,Green (class II-class V depending on section) are also in the area and might be considered. The Emory Obed system will probably be too low, but bears watching in a wet week. The Big South Forkl of the Cumberland might also be worth a trip, depending on where you are. All of these have extensive writeups on AW.
Old 02-16-2016   #6
Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
If you are in the N Carolinas the folks at NOC would be able to guide you where to go for sure.

JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote