Gunny Gorge overnighter - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-17-2016   #1

Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Gunny Gorge overnighter

Would it be completely moronic to do an overnighter on the Gunny Gorge (Chukar Trail down) with two noobs in IKs in early August?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

DangerousDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2016   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Not at all. It's a very manageable class III run at lower flows. It will be very hot carrying gear down the trail though.
Old 07-17-2016   #3

Thanks!

Know of any good places to rent IKs?

Any clue about the condition of the road?

Old 07-17-2016   #4

Western Slope, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
You can rent an IK in Montrose. Montrose Kayak and Surf – Western Colorado’s Premier Kayak and Watersports Shop

The road is high and dry right now. If it rains it becomes impassable until it drys. Sometimes that's a few hours and sometimes longer.

The flow for now is about 1000 which is a real good level for IK's.
ColoradoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016   #5

If you decide to hire a shuttle service, let me know. Can't do that first weekend in August, but 13-14 weekend could work. I looked into doing this as a day trip last year with my wife in IK, but the shuttle service was too pricey without having others to share the cost with and couldn't find any other takers. I understand the road to be quite rough, even when dry, and not suitable for a subaru outback (best clearance vehicle I have).
spthomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by spthomson View Post
I understand the road to be quite rough, even when dry, and not suitable for a subaru outback (best clearance vehicle I have).
That depends on your ability to negotiate steep technical terrain and your tolerance for vehicle abuse. It's rough, but I have taken a stock Subaru Impreza in and out twice fully loaded with boats and people. Couple spots where it's almost impossible not to bottom out, but it can be done.
Old 07-18-2016   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spthomson View Post
If you decide to hire a shuttle service, let me know. Can't do that first weekend in August, but 13-14 weekend could work. I looked into doing this as a day trip last year with my wife in IK, but the shuttle service was too pricey without having others to share the cost with and couldn't find any other takers. I understand the road to be quite rough, even when dry, and not suitable for a subaru outback (best clearance vehicle I have).

I would all for splitting the cost of a shuttle but I'm limited to the 8/4-7 timeframe. One of the noobs will be visiting from back east that weekend.

Old 07-18-2016   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
That depends on your ability to negotiate steep technical terrain and your tolerance for vehicle abuse. It's rough, but I have taken a stock Subaru Impreza in and out twice fully loaded with boats and people. Couple spots where it's almost impossible not to bottom out, but it can be done.

Thanks! I'm driving a Forester so I should be able to make it. I did it in 2WD Ford Ranger back in the 1990s but a lot can happen to a road in a couple decades.

Old 07-18-2016   #9

San Jose, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1998
The road down the canyon which you will use to access chucker trail becomes impassable for most vehicles during or just after rain. The Mancos shale is slicker than ice at during these times. Just a good thing to be aware of.
buckmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmanriver View Post
The road down the canyon which you will use to access chucker trail becomes impassable for most vehicles during or just after rain. The Mancos shale is slicker than ice at during these times. Just a good thing to be aware of.

I appreciate the advice. I'll keep an eye out for the weather and have a backup plan if there's a storm.