Gunny Gorge overnighter - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-18-2016   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
That depends on your ability to negotiate steep technical terrain and your tolerance for vehicle abuse. It's rough, but I have taken a stock Subaru Impreza in and out twice fully loaded with boats and people. Couple spots where it's almost impossible not to bottom out, but it can be done.
Thanks for the info. I was coming from the angle that pleasure park told me they won't drive an outback if hiring them to shuttle your vehicle. I guess I wouldn't be opposed to driving the outback myself if I were setting shuttle with someone else.

If anyone else is reading this thread an interesting in sharing shuttle at some point yet this summer, let me know.

spthomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2016   #12

Western Slope, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Did anyone mention that the road is impassible if wet ?

If you drive a Subaru or any other vehicle to the put in and it rains while you are on the run, you will not be able to retrieve it until it drys out.

Typically, in Late July / Early August, our high and dry weather will give way to monsoon rains and it will rain at various times of the afternoon on a large percentage of days. If it is late in the day, the soil will not dry enough until mid afternoon the next day. If another storm comes through that next day at 1PM, then the vehicle is stranded for another day.

If there is any rain in the forecast, then a better plan if coming from further away is to arrange a shuttle to run you up to the put in rather than to wing it. Pleasure Park has that service and I believe someone else offered it further up in the posts. That way, all of your vehicles are there when you pull out and you can continue with your trip.
ColoradoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016   #13

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDave View Post
Did anyone mention that the road is impassible if wet ?
Yes, it was mentioned....

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmanriver View Post
The road down the canyon which you will use to access chucker trail becomes impassable for most vehicles during or just after rain. The Mancos shale is slicker than ice at during these times. Just a good thing to be aware of.
Old 07-19-2016   #14

Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
That's what we did last year. Picked up a guy at PP who drove with us to the trailhead, then he drove the car out. He knew a shorter way, too, than what we had thought was the best route. I wouldn't leave a car there for shuttling later at this time of year because of the chance of heavy p.m. storms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDave View Post
If there is any rain in the forecast, then a better plan if coming from further away is to arrange a shuttle to run you up to the put in rather than to wing it. Pleasure Park has that service and I believe someone else offered it further up in the posts. That way, all of your vehicles are there when you pull out and you can continue with your trip.
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016   #15

Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Thanks for all the input. I'm paying Gunnison River Expeditions to drop us off at the put in. It wasn't cheap but it'll be a fun trip. If the weather turns bad, the back up plan is Escalante River to the Dominguez trailhead.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
DangerousDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016   #16
don't bogart that

Frosted Flakes N of Baytuckey, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Pleasure Park Shuttle

If you don't mind me asking what is the price of the other shuttle. Last time we used the "pleasure shuttle" it was less than OK. I apparently had forgotten a few episodes of the Dukes of Hazard, but one look around and I knew Boss Hog was running the joint.Daisy was gravametrically challanged and maybe on meth. We got their ten minutes early to find nobody at the desk and when we finally found somebody fifteen min later they gave me a line of they could only shuttle on the hour and we would need to wait another 45 min. Finally when the very large man came out of the building he proceed to tell us about his medical problems for the next hour as we got to chuckar trail. The carry down was wonderful as I was not hearing about an abscess. They did not damage the truck on the way out and they did perform the task of shuttle. That said, a little competition may help the shuttle market on this beautiful trip.
rpludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016   #17

The of the shuttle by Gunnison River Expeditions (3 IKs, gear and 3 people) to the Chukar trailhead feels like we're paying an arm, a leg and maybe a nad or $350. Normally, I wouldn't consider it but an old friend is driving across the country and wanted to do a really cool trip. Also, it is cheaper than towing and repairing a Subaru that has rolled down an embankment or had the front end ripped out.

Old 08-03-2016   #18

Monsoon rains and flash flooding are predicted Thurs / Fri. How much we get is anyone's guess as well as the exact timing.

That being said, the soil does dry fast and when the top couple of inches dry, it will support a vehicle, so even after prolonged rain, a day of sun will usually dry it out enough to drive on. You may want to drive to the lower parking area at the base by Peach Valley before contracting the shuttle. If it is impassable, you will know it just after going by the parking area when the gravel ends. If the mud starts to wrap around your tires, back out or you'll get stuck.

Water-wise, things are grim this time of year. Escalante will be un-boatable or dangerous if trying to time with flooding. There is a permit available on Westwater for a launch tomorrow. Colorado River Pumphouse allows over-night, but likely only Class 2 now.
Old 08-03-2016   #19

I was referring to the Gunnison from the mouth of the Escalante to the Dominguez Trailhead. Taking noobs down the Escalante in IKs at any level sounds like a bad idea.

Old 08-03-2016   #20

That's a nice section to camp on. Water's warm for swimming. Some beaches to camp on and it is a ways from the road. Fires are no problem vs. Gunny with all the restrictions. Not likely to be anyone there this weekend.

If you end up doing that due to Wx, then consider hitting the Taylor from just below Todd's slot down to South Beach on your way back to get some boogeying in. At the current levels, there's nothing that will give you any trouble, but enough to be a lot of fun.

If you want more after that, then the Ark Milk Run, Town run or Brown's are running.