Old 04-03-2006   #1
rifle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Send a message via Yahoo to danvill
Gunny gorge chuckar trail

I am wondering of the possibility of getting my 16ft maravia down the chuckar trail on hand carts like they have at powell for loading houseboats. I haven't been down the trail yet so this may be a bit insane but any time any thing is insane you always end up having more fun than you thought you would have. So any oppinions you have on that would be great danvill

danvill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #2
Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Pretty much, the trail sucks. It's very narrow- i.e. 2 people won't fit. We carried our rafts (a 12 ft. Hyside, and a 14 ft. NRS) on our backs, which worked, but damn near killed us. We also tried building a carrier thing with oars. That was worse. If I went down there again, I'll definitely hire the mules. If you're planning on taking a rowing frame down there it would be nearly impossible unless it breaks down into small pieces. It is a great trip, though. Have fun!!

climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #3
Mostly ditto. It's a real trail, not a bike path. But, I would think making a two person carrier with oars where one person is in front of the other would work.

The trail is pretty. It's not that long. Doing two trips is possible if you start early.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #4
Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
the two person oar carrier did work, but it was obnoxious. The rear person sees nothing since there is a raft directly in front of his face. The front person constantly has to keep the whole package behind him, and not sliding down his shoulders. If you opt to carry this system at waist level, knees and heels are constantly hitting the raft, not to mention, now all the weight is on your hands. Give it a shot!
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #5
West of Boulder, CO
Paddling Since: 1996
The trail is way too narrow and rough for a cart.

We tried a litter-style carry using a Cutthroat frame with alot of gear inside. Never again. We ended up leaving gear all along the trail to lighten up, and then had to go back and pick it up. The person in the back was always tripping over unseen obstacles in the trail making for some pretty mangled shins. If I ever go back with a big boat, I'm calling in the horse train.
dogalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #6
You can roll the oars or paddles in the boat and carry it down on your shoulders. Works pretty good. Also if you don't have a break down frame you can strap it to a metal frame backpack and carry it in. In some places you have to turn sideways to fit but it isn't too bad. I don't think a cart would make it. Easiest way is to just hire the horse packers.
Nathan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #7
I took a 12 footer down on my back and it seemed to work well. I just rolled it up as tight as I could- cam strapped it and had another cam strap with a soft towel accross my forhead. sure I was in pain for 30 min but it worked and I forgot all about it as soon as I caught my first fish. Forget the frame and just bring 3 paddles.

Stay for three days (the max right?). It is one of my favorite trips.

Now the cooler. What worked best for us was to wear it around your neck like Flava Flav and his alarm clock. "Do you know what time it is??"

But really, I did it with the mules the last few times and it is soooooo worth it.

onebakedpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #8
chakar trail

If you have 3-4 people and can do a paddle boat the best way to carry a raft is to roll it lengthwise, strap it up into a tight, long bundle and carry it on your shoulders like a big log. I have used this system several times and it is far superior to backpacks and oar /sling /torture rigs. If you modify your trip and think more like backpackers and less like car campers...take just what you need not everything you own. It is a great way to go.
tim dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #9
Salida, Colorado
Wheel barrel

I unbollted the barrel rebolted a piece of plywood with hole drilled to strap
the raft on. Short strap on the front to lift over rocks long stap behind the driver to put on the brakes and we paddle boated. If you're bringing a frame
hire the horse. Paid $75 to Gunnison Pleasure Park for the shuttle. It's gonna rock this year!
No amount of money is worth your free time!
whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006   #10
teacher= SUMMERS OFF
carts can't go

hand carts (and anything with wheels) are illegal on this trail, I asked. I carried a 15 foot cataraft fly fishing frame down (with help of course) and my buddy did nothing but bitch the whole way. Carrying gear down is fine if you don't mind three trips. Hire the mules if not.

tomt36 is offline   Reply With Quote