Old 07-08-2013   #1
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1982
Gunny Gorge campsites

Looking to do the Gunny Gorge as a 3 day/ 2 night trip later this week. Looking for beta on good campsites...preferably with some shade. Going light and hoping to leave the sun shelter behind. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

pinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #2
Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Got a group possible going down this sunday spend night and paddling out monday. There is a ton of logistics involved in a gunny gorge trip. Setting shuttle takes 2.5 hrs. if done alone, hike down is medium trail at 1.3miles, might be best to rent donkies for boat shuttle, then there is monsson rains. The gorge is no place to be in a thunderstorm cause flash flooding is a real danger. Give me a jingle 970-497-6512.

gunnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #3
DURANGO, 81301
Paddling Since: 2005
it's been awhile since I've looked at the regs, but I thought you can only stay one night in the gorge. I might be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.
Gumbydamnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #4
Montrose, Colorado
Yes you are exactly right when it comes to boaters, they are only allowed one night per campsite, but hiker campsites are allowed 2 nights, 3 days. That's why it's really important to get the BLM map with all updated information. Boater campsites have blue triangles, hiker campsites have green triangles. You need to reserve campsites before going downstream.
Old 07-09-2013   #5
Conifer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Buttermilk on river right isn't too bad, has some trees. I think a larger cottonwood maybe.

Ute 2 is also nice, junipers for shade, busy area due to hike in fishers.

Cadis is rocky and small, with some shade. Great hike up the canyon behind camp. Slow water for swimming.

T-Dike is so so in my opinion. Some junipers near the mouth of the side canyon can shade you till sun drops more.

I think there are some trees at boulder garden also. Never stopped there. As mentioned, you can boat two nights, one per camp. Skip the mules and haul your gear. Have fun it's a great stretch. Pm if you want more details.

Known Cairn Hater

`...><((((>`...><((((>`...><(( ((>
Flohotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013   #6
Montrose, Colorado
There is a group coming from denver on sat. and hiking in on sunday to do half the run ,camp and finish on mon. I'm coming down on monday with a group and catch up with denver group for the technical rapids on bottom of run. I do remember a great side hike before red canyon rapid right at caddis campsite. Be nice if we could all hook up.
Old 07-10-2013   #7
To everyone boating in the Gunny Gorge, or anywhere in the Gunnison Basin, please remember to take AW's Gunnison River Flow Survey.

Your feedback will give us the info we need to protect river flows here despite prolonged drought.

Everyone that completes the Survey will be entered into a drawing to win KEEN shoes and other great prizes.

American Whitewater's website and river stewardship projects are funded by paddlers. Please join, renew, or make a donation to help us protect whitewater rivers in Colorado and nationwide.
Meng is offline   Reply With Quote