Old 05-25-2011   #1
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2005
Gunnison River

We are looking at heading toward Delta, Co this weekend and would like to know if anyone has floated on the Gunnison west of Delta. I know there is a diversion right in town but what's after that? Any good day float sections? Where to put in/take out? Thanks

jturnrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011   #2
Conifer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Escalante/Dominguez Canyons, put-in north of Delta, I think on Escalante Canyon Rd (dont hold me to that). Take-out Hwy 141 @ Whitewater..Nice stretch of flat water. Some good side hikes, Great views..Could be a zoo this weekend though.

This may help too!

Known Cairn Hater

·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><(( ((º>
Flohotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011   #3
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
yeah, Escalante to Whitewater is a great little overnight float. Camp where Dominguez Canyon confluences with the Gunnison. DO NOT LEAVE VALUABLES IN YOUR VEHICLE AT THE WHITEWATER TAKEOUT. i've heard multiple stories of peoples' vehicles being broken into it. best to leave your vehicle unlocked with no valuables in it or just leave it in the parking lot next to the highway at the put-in road and hitch hike.
GunnyRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011   #4
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2005
Thanks for the good info. How many miles/hrs does this take at a beer drinking pace?
jturnrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011   #5
Summit County, Colorado
FYI about the camps at Dominguez Canyon: there is a foot bridge that crosses the river from a parking lot on the opposite side of the river. Expect to see hikers in the early morning come trudging through your camp. We've even seen horses come through. There is a camp that is kind of up the canyon a little ways and down closer to the creek that would be more secluded and private. Just be prepared to see lots of hikers coming through, especially during this holiday weekend. You can take out at Bridgeport, however you have to carry your gear under a bridge and you can't stand up straight at all. It makes it a little difficult. The Whitewater takeout is better, but we've never been able to get our trailer down to the water due to the bridge that's right at the takeout. It's too narrow for our trailer to get through. We needed 6 people to help us load our 16' cat onto our trailer last time we did this stretch. Not a problem since there was another group there, but just wanted you to know that it's not ideal for a trailer. The diversion dam hasn't ever been an issue for us, and sometimes we don't even realize we've gone over until we're past it. Beautiful stretch and hiking Dominguez canyon is something you should definitely do! Lots of petros and beautiful scenery. We always do this stretch in two days at a beer drinking pace.
summitraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011   #6
Flat-lander, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Screw that. Go to gunny gorge and boat that secluded stretch. Sure, you have to lug your shit down a little over a mile, but you can pay the guy with mules to do it for you (~$100 last i used them). The added seclusion is worth it.
foamdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011   #7
Conifer, Colorado
Just got the email from the Dan at the Bureau of Rec, they are saying that levels could reach 13k or higher at Delta. Does anyone have any experience with this strectch at those levels? i.e campsite and takeout conditions

Found one older post by someone who did it around 12k back in the 90's but that was all the info he stated.

Thanks, any info is appreciated!
Known Cairn Hater

Old 06-01-2011   #8
Conifer, Colorado
Really...No one on the Buzz has been down Dominguez Canyon at highwater? I find this hard to believe
Known Cairn Hater

Old 06-01-2011   #9
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
It's flat, it's fast, no big deal.
jeffsssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011   #10
Wolf Hole, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1980
I floated it with some friends back in June of '08, I think it was about 8000 CFS. We put in at the ramp at Delta and took out at Whitewater. Pretty much flat the whole way. The diversion dam was not even noticeable. We camped at Dominguez and did an excellent hike. We never saw another boater, but it was during the week. My truck was parked at the Whitewater takeout for 3 days without being bothered.

Domar Dave is offline   Reply With Quote