Old 09-15-2014   #1
Cortez, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975

I would like to canoe and kayak Morrow near Gunnison, CO this weekend with an overnight or two. I was wondering if anyone had logistic beta, and could describe the portage down the steps with a canoe. Thanks!!!

flowersinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014   #2
Pleasant Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Here's what I know, drive in at the Pine Creek Access. There are 232 stairs, don't ask me how I know that. It would be a challenging yet reasonable hike down to the river. One person with a canoe would be difficult, especially coming back up the stairs. I would go lightweight, backpacker style to avoid carrying a lot of extra weight. Keep in mind the first few miles are going to be a river with current, which is nice. However, on your way back toward the trail access, you will be forced at some point to carry your craft back up the portage trail- the old railroad grade. This will likely not be that much fun.

There is a good camp about 4 or 5 miles on river/lake left. There is a pit toilet/ fire pan? and this same location allows for hiker access too. I suspect it wouldn't be busy, but I don't know really, I try not to hang out on lakes.

Another good option to consider on the Gunnison that is closer to Cortez, if that is where you are coming from is Escalante Dominguez Canyon between Delta and Whitewater. It would make a terrific overnight at this time of the year. Hope this helps.

Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014   #3
Cortez, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
flowersinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014   #4
Gunni, Colorado
Paddling Since: 07
Check with NPS when they are going to release. It's a pain to paddle upstream. Depending on reservoir levels it can be a couple miles of current, but it's not too bad, regardless.
steveo.evers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014   #5
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Another option is to paddle UP the Lake Fork Arm....put in at the Lake Fork Marina (If open) and paddle up. There is (or used to be at any rate) a float in campground a handful of miles up the gorge. Beautiful and not much traffic. is higher elev than Morrow Point Res so this time of year might be a touch colder....
"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote