Old 05-23-2012   #11
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Rim Canyon is my favorite above the Dam. It's about 12mi south of dutch on the way to the Red Canyon lodge.

excellent views, but minimal on the shade.

scottcsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012   #12
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Indian Crossing and Bridge Hollow are both located at bottom of B/top of C. Bridge Hollow is right below the bridge over the river downstream of the Jarvis Ranch. There is also some dispersed camping just downstream that can be accessed by driving just past Bridge Hollow, slightly up the hill and turn left on a dirt road that goes back down to the river. There are also some other camping areas downstream along C that are accessible by car. Pipeline and Swallow Canyon have camping too.

Be careful as the Green is currently doing spring flood simulation. The flows have been high the last week but they should be dropping soon.

boatdziner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012   #13
Grand Junction, Colorado
Dripping Springs is between Dutch John and Little Hole. No shade but running water and normal crappers. Memorial Weekend will be crazy. Good luck getting a site. 20 or so sites. There is a few other sites between the Dam and Dutch John but seems to be by reservation only. Plenty of Lake sites but a bit more drive from the river. Section B has on river camping but need to sign up at Little Hole prior. Second the dam put-in. Have your shit together as there will be line and you need drop and get out quick. Ranger Rick stands by making sure everything is moving smoothly. Alot of guides. I usually put-in and row to the other side of the river to rig up and crack open a beer while the shuttle is being ran. Cicadas could be flying!
ssoren1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012   #14
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Originally Posted by boatdziner View Post
Be careful as the Green is currently doing spring flood simulation. The flows have been high the last week but they should be dropping soon.

I spoke with the BLM office yesterday as we're planning to be on the water from A down to Swinging Bridge this weekend too; he gave me the follwoing schedule for release.

5/23 - 6600 (actual has been 7750cfs today)
5/26 - 4600
5/27 - 4200
5/28 - 3900
after that they'll drop it 350cfs each day until 6/4 when it reaches 1500cfs for the season.

note that at the put in, the 7750 increased the gage by wading may be a challenge at little hole.

according to the Forest Service lady, Taylor Flats brige is unpassable at play it safe and pray that this didn't wreck the cicada hatch.

As far as dripping springs goes, I woudln't spend more than 2hrs of sunlight in that place in my opinion. It's in a convenient location and works really well if you just need a place to crash, but the burnt surroundings are a bit depressing.
scottcsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012   #15
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
If you look at page 3 of the map, there are campsite accessible from the road where they are numbered 23 thru 29. #30 looks like it may be accessible, but we didn't see it from the river last Fall.
FWIW camps 23-25 are accessible from the river. At the end of Oct. last year, we had a beautiful float thru there from the dam down to the take-out after Swallow Canyon. We camped at #23(I think) and had very private camp site not very close to the road.
tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012   #16
Palisade, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Info from Flaming Gorge/Bureau of Reclamation

I launch June 10th at Little Hole(I don't like the confusion at "A" launch when my group is 5 boats). I reserved Cottonwood Camp online; will try for Pugmire sign up; will float all the way to Lodore and camp the 14th....motors thru Browns Park...the 15th launch on Lodore and I have 4 nite extension....take out Split Mountain the 19th....83 miles on the Green and the fishing will be super.

Bureau of Reclamation - Upper Colorado Region Water Operations: Current Status: Flaming Gorge Reservoir
F.A.A.C. Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012   #17
North Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Slim right on on the flow report. I am doing this trip this fall,so you are doing 4 nights down to Lodore? 10 days sweet.

nicho is offline   Reply With Quote