Old 01-31-2012   #1
Carnation, Washington
Paddling Since: 1990
Green Deso DAM danger?

There appears to be a dam in the green deso just below the normal takeout. If you want to continue down to the town of green river how difficult is this dam. I am talking about experienced boaters with rafts and canoes. Also talking about a spring run early May. So if you have advice would love to hear it in the 2000 to 6000cfs range.

The dam looked pretty tall on google map

RutRow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012   #2
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I've only read that the low-head dam is a real danger and that, while attempted to be scouted, it not near a road or easily located because of a maze of dirt roads. The risk of pushing through otherwise flat water towards a potential hazard in a remote location doesn't seem worth it.

Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012   #3
montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
You can drive to it, but I don't remember how. I have seen it a few times (years ago) and it seemed like it would be runnable in a raft. It is kind of a sloped dam, not a straight drop off. As I recall it still had a scary back-wash at the bottom.

Once again my memory may be wrong, but I think I have talked to people who have run it. Maybie you should call Moki Mac or Holiday and ask them.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012   #4
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
It can be run on far river right.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012   #5
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
its the Tushar Dam that you are questioning. its actually quite easy to drive to if you look at a map. Drive through some corn and alfalfa fields and eventually you get there, the area is kind of a high school party spot/fishing area.

people do run it, its scary but its not as dangerous as a true low head dam. ive heard the higher the water the more it sucks. we ran it in duckies one time for fun at like 2.5K and had a blast on the dam......the manky piece of shit rapid immediately after the dam is worse, at least at lower flows. some sharp rocks, and the river widens out over a shallow your flows that shouldnt be too big of a problem, though. the ramp is shallowest in the middle.

fun fact: watch for the two old waterwheels on river left, right at the dam. pieces of green river history.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	21- Tusher Dam 1.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	589.9 KB
ID:	4307   Click image for larger version

Name:	17- Waterwheels 2 pk.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	657.4 KB
ID:	4308  

Click image for larger version

Name:	19- Tusher Rapid 1.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	616.1 KB
ID:	4309  
"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012   #6
Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
I just posted a similar question so I will bump this thread. Has anyone tried to run Tusher Dam during spring run off 16K+? Thinking of continuing our trip down Desolation/Greys thru Labyrinth this spring.
BackCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012   #7
Engineer Civil Structural Hydraulic, Evans CO
Paddling Since: 68
At 16k you will not likley even see the dam except for the abutments. The center spillway is runable unless there is brush or other trash caught up in it. There is also an out at the diversion structure. Scout it first.

Gary Strome
Friends Don't Let Friends Drive PVC Boats
garystrome is offline   Reply With Quote