Old 01-14-2008   #11
Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Deer creek hike

Heads up if you try to hike from Deer creek up to Tapeats and leave a boat at the mouth of Tapeates the Rangers will be happy to write you a ticket. Happened on my last trip (2 yrs ago fall) I didn't get the ticket it happened to the another group. A better option would be to camp just above Tapeats and do the hike over to Deer creek and camp just below deer creek. One thing is that it will be hotter than hell. I don't recommend a hike over the top at that time of year. But if you're a gulton for punishment knock yourself out, bring lots and lots of water and don't get lost. PS I've been down 13 times

yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008   #12
Kimy dose'nt know what she's talking about. Shoot she use to give me 5 outa 5 when she stopped by to check my camps . How smart can she be? Just funning of course Kimy was tops as a River Ranger.

Up and over is one of my favorite hikes done it about 5 times. It is best left for the shoulder season's IMO. Hike Thunder one day go down to owl eyes then hike to Dutton (one of deer creeks sources) the next day. I am suprised that laying over at Bass and hiking White creek has not been mentioned. And since evryone is bragging 90, 87 commercial 3 private. sj

ps kimy Jonsey ,Diamond

sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008   #13
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
One of the most memmorable experiences on my trip was dropping down into deer creek slot canyon in the section above the falls. Deer creek falls is beautiful and right on the river. The creek cuts a short slot canyon just prior to the falls. We had a rope to get in and out. It was incredible.

When its really scorching hot, I'm not a big fan of long hot hikes that are usually in full sun. There are lots of cool short hikes into side canyons, and lots of hikes that have water in them to keep you cool.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008   #14
San Diego and Frisco, CO
[quote=sj;83775]Kimy dose'nt know what she's talking about.
Jonesy, you got your Kims mixed up. That was Crumbo giving you those 5's!

Too funny, can't believe you connected the dots. Loved you Diamond guys 'cuz you could COOK! And had great refreshments!
Check your PM.

Kimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008   #15
Red Deer, Alberta
Paddling Since: 1989
Awesome feedback guys, I sincerely appreciate it. The day is coming soon, and we are all getting very stoked for it. Cheers.
You don't quit kayaking when you get old, you get old when you quit kayaking.
cdn-river-rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008   #16
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Sleep cool

Good hikesó check.

Don't go left at Bedrockó check. (But you can pull out of the right channel onto the island and take close-up pickies of the carnage).

On our trip (Aug - Sept, 2005) the nights were bloody hot. Some of the folks with cats had them rigged with deckboards so they could sleep over the water, which was a lot cooler and nicer. No 3 am visits from ringtail cats.

I slept on shore and sweated buckets. Tip: take an old cotton sheet to fold for a cover and a cheap fleece blanket to fold and put under it, to absorb the sweat. Otherwise you'll get perspiration puddles on your Paco Pad.

Chip is offline   Reply With Quote