Old 05-07-2007   #1
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Grand Canyon transport

Hey i have a Grand permit and am wondering the best way to get there from the fort. Everyone in our group (which is full) has an idea but none seem to be panning out. How does everyone else do it, i don't want to re invent the wheel if someone has already got some ideas. Any ideas with specific details would be much appreciated!! Thanks Y'all!

kiwi si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007   #2
Not a river guide, Ft. FunK
A map.

Its only the biggest hole on the fuggin planet.

Devils advocate
gapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007   #3
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Scenic Route = I-70 to Cresent Junction, hwy 191 south to Bluff, hwy 163 to kayenta, hwy 160 to hwy 89, hwy 89 and 89A to Marble canyon.

Bad weather route = I-25 to I-40 (Albuquerque), I-40 to Flaggstaff, hwy 89 and 89A to Marble canyon.

Long ass drive either way (~14 hrs) Timewise they might be about the same, but distance on the scenic route is probably a little shorter and its nice to have something to look at. Any other route probably won't save you any distance or time.
benpetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007   #4
Fort Collins, Colorado

ah yes well, it is a big hole and thanks for the directions, but, and i apparently didn't word it well, i meant how do i get me, my crew and all our stuff there. We are pretty much outfitting ourselves so we have boats, gear, etc to move.
we ahve contemplated busses, trailers, trucks, rvs??, and other things but like i said, nothing is quite working out yet. Hope this clears things up!!!
Old 05-07-2007   #5
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
If your friends have trucks, SUVs or other vehicles up to the distance and able to carry the all the junk you have to take, then just drive it down to the putin and dump it. Otherwise you could rent a budget truck, fill it to the brim and drive it down, and return it in flaggstaff, and do vica versa on the way back.

For shuttle, if you are planning to take out at diamond creek, I definately recommend hiring a shuttle. A number of companies based out of flaggstaff will just show up at the take out with huge flatbeds that acommodate 4-5 boats, and you just strap it all on. Then they can drive you to flaggstaff and drop you off at your cars (which are parked in secure lots) and you then move all the stuff to your vehicles. Its extra gear wrangling but it avoids two hastles with the diamond creek takeout. 1)The Hualapai tribe charges about $50 for every vehicle and person that travels the takeout road (including shuttle drivers) and it can actually be cheaper just to hire a shuttle company that shows up with 3 drivers and 3 vehicles than to try and do it yourself. 2) access at diamond creek is a pain. The road is actually the creek and so any vehicles that go down there should be high clearance. Furthermore, I'm not sure where you're allowed to park around there, but it may be a long hike from the river.

If you're taking out at south cove, (pearce ferry is closed), then you avoid those two hastles in favor of different hastles. 1) you have to float out on Lake Mead. The lake is very low and you will have current almost all the way to south cove, but a lot of the camps are overgrown and from what I've heard, the last 40-50 miles can be kind of shitty, making for a not great ending to the best trip in the world. 2) Rumor has it that vehicle breakins have occured at both lee's ferry and at the south cove take out.
benpetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007   #6
Uh... you're kidding, right?

How do you usually get to the river when you go boating on a multi-day trip? It'll be a lot like that but you'll need to do more planning and carry more food.

Is this what happens when park & play boaters get a permit for the Grand???
I'll boat til the rivers run dry
CoBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007   #7
Fort Collins, Colorado
thanks BP, those are a lot of the ideas we have, but helps clear things up on a few points.
Old 05-07-2007   #8
get back to work!

don't you have to teach? We taxpayers aren't paying you to sit on Mtn Buzz!!
poudreraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007   #9
Regarding the drive down I would particularly check any trailers that you might use. It's a long haul so try to find a trailer with decent sized tires (and make sure the spare is good, we once had to go hunting for a trailer tire in route to Lees Ferry Sunday night in Alamosa). Also make sure the bearings are packed.

As stated above, the Diamond road is a bitch and can easily flash making it impassable for days. That is if your vehicle does not get washed into the river... For my trip this spring it worked out to be cheaper and simpler to have Moenkopi run our shuttle and haul the group out from Diamond with their truck/trailer and a van. The downside is having to transfer stuff back in Flagstaff.

I have never done the lower stretch to the lake, but I would seriously consider that if it is an option for you. Those extra days are not counted against your permit. I understand there are some cool hikes including a waterfall that is twice as tall as Deer Creek. The camping is supposed to be sketchy compared to the upper stretch, but you have the option of sleeping on your boat and floating overnight.

Have fun!

ericF is offline   Reply With Quote