Mountain Buzz banner

Grand Canyon Mid-July - One Space

14K views 60 replies 24 participants last post by  Maxident 
#1 ·
It looks likely that I'll have one space to fill on a small permit. I would like a competent rower who could run a raft if needed. No potheads, no druggers, no slackers. We have Canyon experience, so you don't have to. 19 days to Pearce Ferry. Cost: about $750 + transportation.

#10 ·
Once again: alcohol is a drug too, and one of the most dangerous. Let's not be hypocrites people. Kinda funny how some drunks throw around the "druggy" term and are so quick to lump in people that use marijuana with tweakers, junkies and pill heads. Alcohol is argueably THE most dangerous drug out there. Not saying I don't drink, but facts are facts. I have no problem with guns in the GC either(as long as they don't belong to drunk idiots).

#12 ·
That's the great part about this, he doesn't have to impress any of you. Kudos to anybody that wants to send out an invite to a public forum to go on the trip of a lifetime. The people who chided him must be pretty Effing special that they get to act like this guy isn't offering up a trip of a lifetime with a small price tag and very few requirements. I did a private trip when I was 16, and we had one guy that wasn't from our normal group. He turned out to be a lazy dud who talked more than he worked. If I go again, I'll interview and maybe require a pre trip with any people I haven't boated with previously.

#13 ·
I encounter this on the Ark a lot as well. Why so much anti-weed nonsense from some of the worst alcoholics this world has ever known? I can still self rescue and flip my boat if I just smoked a joint, the same cannot be said if I'd just killed a bottle of JD.

Regardless, it's not a bad price for the trip. Thanks for being a decent dude. Call Noah's Ark, they invited me to a "root beer" kegger last summer !

#17 ·
BilloutWest said:
Alcohol is clearly much worse than Pot but it is nothing compared to meth.

We're all missing the mark on this one.
The groover guy canceled.
Can't be too safe there.
"A new study by London's Imperial College's chair of neuropsychopharmacology, David Nutt, claims that the three most dangerous drugs in the world are alcohol, heroin and cocaine, in that order. In the study, Drug Harms in the U.K., published in what is arguably the medical community's mosf prestigious journal--Lancet-- Proffesor Nutt outlines a convincing case for the controversial claim that alcohol is the most dangerous drug, illegal or legal, in the world today." quoted from dailytech.com. It goes on to say that while harder drugs are more personally damaging, when combined with societal impacts, alcohol is the most dangerous drug and its completely legal.

#19 ·
"A new study by London's Imperial College's chair of neuropsychopharmacology, David Nutt, claims that the three most dangerous drugs in the world are alcohol, heroin and cocaine, in that order. In the study, Drug Harms in the U.K., published in what is arguably the medical community's mosf prestigious journal--Lancet-- Proffesor Nutt outlines a convincing case for the controversial claim that alcohol is the most dangerous drug, illegal or legal, in the world today." quoted from dailytech.com. It goes on to say that while harder drugs are more personally damaging, when combined with societal impacts, alcohol is the most dangerous drug and its completely legal.
Western Rafter's post never mentioned alcohol,you must think he has a bunch of drunks going with him. I like the comment that you can have a great time in GC without drugs or alcohol.I think a cold beer after a day of rafting on the grand sounds great! Running Lava high on anything not so great.

#20 ·
Yes but alcoholics can be functional when they are drunk, sort of. Know of any useful stoners?
I disagree. They only think they can function normally or better even. Everyone I know uses marijuana. All are responsible, fully functional members of society, myself excluded. All from different walks of life. Some are nurses. I'd say they're being pretty useful. If the stoners you know are useless, chances are they were useless long before they lit up that first joint. Blanket statements like that are just plain ingnorant and kinda redneckish.

#21 ·
jpbay said:
Western Rafter's post never mentioned alcohol,you must think he has a bunch of drunks going with him. I like the comment that you can have a great time in GC without drugs or alcohol.I think a cold beer after a day of rafting on the grand sounds great! Running Lava high on anything not so great.
He didn't purposely exclude the drunks now did he. Guess I just resent being called a pothead. If you like a cold beer at the end of the day that's great, me too. Personally, I wouldn't get high before running Lava either, but would definitely be smoking some grade A ganja directly afterwards; ) Again with the double standard that even at the end of the day its ok to drink, but not to smoke.

#26 ·
How can you say double standard when I never said anything about smokin dope? Maybe thats what i do all day! I think not.My job is far to dangerous to be impared by anything! You on the other hand may smoke as much pot as you like,I don't care.:p And yes a gun on the Grand is ok,you never know when Wade may show up.

#22 ·
The militant attitude of potheads always amazes me.

You don't want to be on my trip, and I don't want you there. That works for me. But you bitch because I didn't invite you. Tough tarts. Group compatibility is essential to a successful river trip.

On one of my very first raft trips, I failed to pre-screen the participants--all friends of mine and their friends. Half the group would huddle together every evening in camp drinking and smoking pot, leaving the rest of us to do all the work. Worked out great for the potheads; not so great for the rest of us.

From that I learned (1) an essential part of trip planning is screening the participants; (2) if you have slackers in the group, you will have to do their work on top of your own unless you want to be a dictator.

So, to all of you who think it would be no fun to go on a river trip with me, let me assure you that the feeling is mutual. That's why I didn't just leave it wide open to anyone and everyone; so stop complaining. I'm not going to make you stop getting loaded--I'm just saying you'll have to get your own permit.

I now have a short list of people who do want to participate, and who presumably would rather not go on a trip with potheads, druggers and slackers. Among them I'm sure I can find someone who will fit into the group and not be an outcast. That should make everyone happy.

#27 ·
We have Canyon experience, so you don't have to.
This combined with what you wrote under your screen name is what made me laugh.

Sounds like you hang around with the wrong potheads. Pick your friends wiser.

Seriously,take whoever you want,it's not like it's hard to get on a grand permit with people that know how to relax and have a great time,but still run an efficient show. Think I just described every raft trip I've ever been on...maybe I've just been lucky.

#34 ·
I would move to a state that sees things your way. The majority of Oregon does not want marijuana smokers. You are a criminal in your own home. I loved Oregon but will never again live in a place that empowers criminals while arresting it's citizens over something as silly as cannabis.

#29 ·
jpbay said:
How can you say double standard when I never said anything about smokin dope? Maybe thats what i do all day! I think not.My job is far to dangerous to be impared by anything! You on the other hand may smoke as much pot as you like,I don't care.:p And yes a gun on the Grand is ok,you never know when Wade may show up.
I didn't mean to imply that it was your dbl standard, only that one exists.

#31 ·
Thanks, everyone for your PMs on this. I've let everyone know what the current status is, and what our next step will be. We will choose from those who have already responded, so I don't need any other responses.

All of you stoners can keep posting. Most of what you've said just underscores why I didn't invite you along.

Funny thing about what different people consider to be essential on a river trip. Obviously, for some it is pot. For others, it is alcohol. I remember in the '70s, a lot of people considered nudity to be necessary. Some other perceived "essentials" include hiking, climbing, photography, musical instruments, singing, competitive cooking, beach volleyball, and I'm sure the list could go on and on.

I'm okay with most of these things, but drunk, stoned, and naked are things that don't amuse me. Well, unless you're a hot chick with a dynamite body.

#56 ·
Thanks, everyone for your PMs on this. I've let everyone know what the current status is, and what our next step will be. We will choose from those who have already responded, so I don't need any other responses.

All of you stoners can keep posting. Most of what you've said just underscores why I didn't invite you along.

Funny thing about what different people consider to be essential on a river trip. Obviously, for some it is pot. For others, it is alcohol. I remember in the '70s, a lot of people considered nudity to be necessary. Some other perceived "essentials" include hiking, climbing, photography, musical instruments, singing, competitive cooking, beach volleyball, and I'm sure the list could go on and on.

I'm okay with most of these things, but drunk, stoned, and naked are things that don't amuse me. Well, unless you're a hot chick with a dynamite body.
That last paragraph should scare away any women thinking about this trip. Not only are you a bore, but you seem pretty creepy. Good luck.

#37 ·
swimteam101 said:
I would move to a state that sees things your way. The majority of Oregon does not want marijuana smokers. You are a criminal in your own home. I loved Oregon but will never again live in a place that empowers criminals while arresting it's citizens over something as silly as cannabis.
I have my card. They're not arresting me for doing what I do. The only reason it wasn't legalized here was there was no financial support. Guarantee when our broke ass state see's the money WA and CO are pulling in from it we will be next in line for legalization. Regardless, Oregon is amazing and I don't think I'll ever move from here.

#41 ·
Enjoy Western Rafter the rest of your neighbors. Oregon's MMJ program is laughable at best and I doubt you are next in line for legalization take a look at the statistics from the last election as well as the lack of dispensaries speaks to the will of the average Oregon voter. You feeling that it is a done deal will surely aid the other side and speaks directly to the problem. All in good fun wish all of you the best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.