Old 02-24-2013   #1
NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
Grand Canyon Layover Camps

Ok it's time to play where to layover in the Grand Canyon. Currently planning a 19 day August trip with a takeout at Pierce. Fyi the group is experienced and almost everyone has been down at least once and many several times.
Looking for some good advice about where to layover and why, I'm guessing only 2 layovers at this where would you layover and why???

Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013   #2
Bass camp, great hikes, great bocce, spent three days there last December
Fern Glen, 1/4 mile long beach, nice hike up canyon

mrkyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013   #3
Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Bass is a great layover camp- in December. In August though, it's gonna be hot as hades. Matkat Hotel might be a good one- lots of shade, and a you can visit Matkat and hang out in the water all day. Duffy's, I think marked Upper Chevron on the map, has a cold draft coming out of a big crack in the basalt cliffs- good after Lava camp, but probably not a layover. I'd be thinking shade in August, although if you get lots of monsoon weather, maybe a little hot sun won't hurt.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013   #4
NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
Yes good point about shade..we are putting a priority on that. Laid over at MatKat Hotel once it was hot as hell and this was in May also difficult to get to Matkat from the campsite due to the exposure that some might not be comfortable with.
Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013   #5
Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
True on the exposure from Matkat Hotel to Matkat, but you could get there.

Honestly, even in the shade on my July trip I barely ever left my boat. I slept on my boat, I drank on my boat, I ate on my boat. I pretty much only left my boat to crap, and to get food from the kitchen to bring back to my boat. It was amazing how much the temps went up just a few feet from the river. August might well be kinda rainy, depending on how much monsoonal flow you get.

Saddle Canyon and Backeddy Camp might have some decent shade. Might be able to figure out how to hike Deer Creek from Backeddy if you have some duckies?

Have you seen this link?
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #6
flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 89

Layover sleeping on the boats the last night to Pierce. Then you can take out at 6am and derig in the cool temps instead of derigging in 120 degrees at Diamond Creek.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nightfloat longear.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	5641  

moetown is offline   Reply With Quote