Old 07-26-2011   #1
Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Grand Canyon Battery Charging

We are launching 9/1 on the GRAND CANYON!! We are trying to decide on the best way to charge our cameras on the trip (solar, marine battery). All suggestions are appreciated. ~Chris

CLuberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #2
Austin, Texas
Paddling Since: 1983
Take extra batteries. Easiest and cheapest solution.

kayakingphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #3
I agree, unless you have the bucks to spend all the solar or other options you find are going to be expensive.

I just got back from the Grand and what I ended up doing after having the same debate and researching all over was buying cheap Chinese batteries from Amazon. They are a fraction of the cost of the brand name batts and most of them had twice the m-ah's of the factory batteries. Most of them come in 2 packs and only cost 6-12 bucks. Worked well for me, I took three cameras; a p&s, dslr, and video.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011   #4
Austin, Texas
Paddling Since: 1990
I did a winter trip w/ some folks, they had everything! Including a marine cd/mp3 player w/ out door speakers ipods ect. He had his stereo plugged into the marine grade battery about 1 out of every 3rd night. It was showing no sign of weakness. He also had a cigarette lighter adapter w/ alligator clamps on the end, he clipped them onto the battery and the devise into the adapter, shazammm! I'm not one to bring the "rock'n" stereo, but it all worked great and everything got charged! I bet you can buy one of these batterys cheaper than the small batt? The only draw back is the weight.
Have fun out there and be ready for a little bit of rain. September is a good time in the Ditch!
liquidphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011   #5
Bring a large lead-acid battery, invertor and outlet strip. The battery (assuming is it good) will have plenty of juice without need for recharge. As a bonus, bring a 12V pump and .45 micron filters to make water purification a snap.
jbolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011   #6
eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
We have the goal zero and it has paid for itself over and over! It charges our cameras while we are listening to the ipod.
Nomad 7 and Rock Out Combo Kit - Goal Zero | Portable Solar Power
mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011   #7
San Jose, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1998
Marine Deep Cycle DC Battery. Solo charger will not work if you do a winter trip (not enough direct sun light). Or buy both and re-charge the Marine Battery with the solo charger when you get home.
buckmanriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011   #8
yampa, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
you start to realize how many pictures you have of rafts on the water and canyon filled skys and stop taking pictures before your batterys die everyone on your trip will have between 250 and 500 pics each so dont sweat it take a couple of extra batterys and you will be fine
yampaman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011   #9
Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
I use a small garden tractor battery (lead-acid) that fits neatly into a 6-pack cooler. It costs about $30. It is relatively lightweight, and with the cooler handle, it is easy to carry. I have a clip-on cigarette lighter socket that many chargers can plug into directly. I also have a 300-watt inverter that handles devices that require AC. It worked just fine throughout our Canyon trip, charging batteries for about 8 different cameras.
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011   #10
Lakewood, Colorado

We just took extra batteries. ALso, you can charge them while you are at Phantom ranch as well. We did have a friend with a solar power charger but they took pics in the thousands. We were also on a 28 day trip.

melcol is offline   Reply With Quote