Old 03-23-2013   #21
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
The lottery is over, tough luck. To each their own opinion and how they choose to release their permit. Don't do it if you don't like it, your whine has turned to vinegar.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #22
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1979
Originally Posted by climbdenali View Post
I'm surprised nobody else thinks it's at least a little bit wrong to be coordinating the transfer of a non-transferrable permit.

People do agree with you. It's refreshing to see someone take the high ground.

briandburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #23
Crouch, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1976
I think Slamkal was trying to give a decent heads up here to a very large forum... go peruse the members list and tell me this is a 'small group'. People game the system wherever a system exists. Get over it.
Miss Julie
Foster's Beer makes your ass look smaller
Miss Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #24
Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
How many of the 37,000 usernames do you think are legitimate and active? I'd guess a quarter or less, but have no way of accessing "date last accessed." Far, far more boaters that I know don't use Mountainbuzz than those who do. Anyway, no big deal, just wanted spur discussion and get folks to consider who loses when someone wins by "bending" rules.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #25
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
F that I think its hard enough to pull permits, if one wants to do research and figure out where to find a cancelation more power to them. "Its not fair" is a bullshit attitude to have. We should have Nazis screen all threads that have to do with permits an censor them, better yet get rid of the trip planner. Thanks slam for the heads up, I would have tried for it but I have some trips going down around the same time. Cant wait to try out the new sticks. We have enough pussys on this planet already.Stop crying. I'm going to go give myself a ticket for not wearing seatbelt
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #26
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Holy shitstorm. I feel i owe a bit more to the buzz community than to Joe random off the street. So i advertise i have a permit that I'm gonna release, and publish it in a place i feel i owe something back to this supportive community. After two "apparently" active buzzards send me a PM saying they are interested, i pull the invite. I dont need 23 people PMing me.

There is no guarantee they get the permit, there is no transfer of money, and they are not my friends. They are no less random than someone on the system.

So to those i angered, tuff shit.
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #27
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
And by the way, i picked this permit up as a cancellation, by clicking refresh a million effing times. So yes, they can be had by luck, or by diligence
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #28
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Since the cancelled permits are released at random within 24 hours of cancellation, I don't see this as "transferring" a permit to another member of MB. I would imagine that the folks who contacted the OP with an interest in that permit were already devoting a lot of time to checking the website, as are all the non-MB folks on the planet who really want a permit on or around that date. I think it's a random crap shoot, whether you have a heads up or not.
If giving a heads-up on a permit cancellation is cheating, then what about the vendors who advertise special deals/sales on the MB? Is this cheating the non-MB public out of a chance to save money and get the deal? Would I be wrong if I posted a heads-up on a great deal I came across on river gear?
I personally feel the OP's motive was sincere and not an attempt to game the system.

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote