Old 12-12-2011   #11
FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
Well, some people do not get it. Doesn't have to do with age or computer ability. And it really doesn't have much to do with google docs either. The non-getters don't get the shared responsibility/work of a trip. Not sure why they are invited. Perhaps they are the permit holder. Perhaps they are a friend of a friend. SO or other. SOme of them figure it out and become getters, but some don't and soon get edited out of future trips. Just the way it is. BUt i like to meet new people and spread the river love. And there are some getters that become lazy...

Here is our link. Private info deleted. Feel free to use. Please make a copy and become the documents owner if you do use it.

sarahkonamojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011   #12
boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
had some time to clean it up a bit more this afternoon(12th). so its in better shape now. i do a separate GDoc which is a timeline for th major part of th river season. it lets my river buddies specify on what dates they r def not avail, those that they r and those that they prefer for a number of diffrnt runs. it saves a lot of time normally spent doing this at permit parties allowing more time to socialize and avoiding much confusion.

phlexicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011   #13
Leavenworth, Washington
Paddling Since: 1994
Google Docs

I have several templates that I use on Google Docs.

Trip Medical Issues
Food Issues
Main Template (who brings what)
Trip Layout

I don't share medical or food issue with whole group.
The only one editable by the group is the Main Template. Everyone inputs what they have to contribute gear wise and it gets divided up then locked so no one can change what they are supposed to bring.

We have gotten to the point that if you can't be bothered to contribute the time to fill in a sheet, that it doesn't bode well for your contribution to the trip.

Maybe a little over organized...
GBWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #14
Denver-ish, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Thanks Sarah. I've made spreadsheets in the past, but yours is quite organized.
yesimapirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011   #15
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
This from another thread - I use it as much for myself to work on at work and then from home. You can manage who can edit it and it always saves the earlier revisions. Sure saves me a lot of emails to myself.

Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
So not trying to get in the way of capitalism, but just sharing some spreads that I use. They are share ware, anyone who uses them owes me lots of beer. You can't edit these but you should be able to copy them I think, if not I will add your email and you can download or something.

I use the first one to set a budget and try to get a handle on things. The second one is half way through to determine what needs to be shopped yet and such.

The blank one without prices is used for checking everything off. I also double laminate that last one and put a couple in the kitchen box ( they make a great little cutting board too) for on the trip and keep one as a backup in my rocket. These don't have cooking directions and 'finite' quantities but you can get pretty close with this.

First shopping menu ( not everything is filled in with a price as some things were left over or supplied by someone in the group):

With items color coded to indicate where to shop or if the price is gone and the box dark grey then that means it has been bought.:

Final ( with no prices to enable checking off during packing and this is from a different trip) :
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011   #16
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Thanks for sharing all the links, everyone. I'm going to take ideas from the half-dozen examples in this thread and come up with my own doc for this summer.
Fluvial Geomorphology Blog
Bayou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011   #17
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I'm using it now, and really liking it with one exception, that you can't protect individual cells, but at least you can protect an entire sheet. Thanks everyone-
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011   #18
Riverdale, Utah
Paddling Since: 1977
Nice templates, thanks folks.
I've used Google Docs alot for work. Google Docs is a great tool, but just fyi, it has gone down occasionally. Its wise to back up critical information. It was amazing to read the help forums when Google docs was having problems; lots of businesses saying "we have critical info there, and we need it back!" Another way to say - poor planning! Its freeware.
Even after I paid for 200GB of storage with Google, I had everything go down once; although it came back.
wasatchbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011   #19
Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Thanks everyone for your input and examples. I am working on a google form that can be emailed out. When the form is completed it populated a lot of the odds and end things that you forget until last minute (license plate numbers for shuttle, etc) When I get a working model I will post it here for everyone to check out and steal, modify...
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012   #20
Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Ok, I had some inspiration today and put together a trip planning google doc based on the docs you shared here or PM'd me.

The personal information has been removed to protect the innocent, but the itinerary for my Lower Salmon trip is intact as an example of use. By doing this I in turn place dibs on the campsites listed.

TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote