Old 07-02-2009   #1
rocky mountains, Colorado
GC planning advice?

Share your love with your knowledge and advice for a grand canyon trip planner!! I am mapping out our plan of attack for a 16 day August trip, and looking for suggestions on a layover spot. Thinking about the camp above Deer Creek to so we could ferry across for the day, but don't know what the camp is like for the layabout folks. Stone Creek? What is the camp like? Most info says the creek was flood scoured, but a good layover spot? Can you hike to shinumo from Bass camp, and if so, worth it?
Any other suggestions?? Ideally looking for a good beach for the loungers, and a creek hike for the others.

magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009   #2
Conifer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Camp above Deer Creek is a large, good camp. Good layover spot if everyone is hiking Deer Creek which is amazing. It is a popular camp, and if it is taken, you need to pull into Deer Creek Falls to get the hike. Then you will have to find a camp down river. Poncho's Kitchen is nice, but not for a layover. Not sure about Stone Creek. Can't remember that one. I don't think you can hike from Bass to Shinumo, at least not the mouth of Shinumo. You can hike to the creek, above the mouth of Sinumo. Bass is a great camp with lots of great hiking. Good layover spot. Other good layover spots are Nankoweep, Unkar, Granite Park, Whitemore to name a few. Have a great trip.
Mike Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off