Old 09-22-2011   #1
80523, Confusion
Gauley, come out, come out wherever you are

Who has lost gauley beta?

hnw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011   #2
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
gauley river video tour... google it. And, if you would be the type to never leave colorado without the sticky, keep it stashed away from your car or campsite. We were nineteen strong in three campsites at battle run campground and were almost outnumbered by the drug task force that swept our site and any other site that had boats at Gauley Fest. I picked up a nice little possesion ticket that was explained as a "fundraiser for West Virginia".

neoprene farts
roosternater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011   #3
Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Amazing river, with the most damn amount of kayakers I've ever seen! Great fest and party, but there was sure a lot of K9 and unfriendly west Virginia cops roaming the parking lots and campground. For a town with maybe 4000ppl, seems like a lot of patrol roaming around.
ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011   #4
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 82
Well that really sucks. I'll scratch gauley fest off my to do list.
CB Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011   #5
West By God, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1999
Gauleyfest isn't what it used to be. It peaked in the early 2000s but it has declined the last few years due to the economy and in part to the excessive good ol boy police presence. The river is still kick ass though and the NPS has done a great job of improving access in the last decade or so.
Paddle Iraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I have nothing but good things to say about the NPS and their efforts at improving access, communicating updates and being generally helpful on the New and the Gauley. Woods Ferry access is nothing short of amazing! I also understand that US Corps of Engineers have coordinated above normal releases with the paddling public, all in support of dam repairs this winter and the need for a lower lake pool. That being said, 5 years into Gauley Fest and I can personally confirm that the fuzz is alive and well in law and order West By God. I would think that the NPS is probably doing such a good job due to the increased revenue from the law enforcement division. This year was the first time I saw NPS Law Enforecement on Peters Creek Rd and I got a seatbelt ticket. Two people who I picked up for shuttle received posession tickets at Sweets Falls - all I am saying is that if you mind your business, no worries. But be careful on the river and most of all on the road, in town and at the fest. See you all out there next year!
wheretheriverflows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011   #7
Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1999
As far as police presence Gauley Fest goes, keep in mind the reason for the police (which are actually off duty cops hired by AW) is to #1 protect boaters from the folks who don't know how to handle their booze and think it's a bright idea to drive wasted through the camp ground, light random shit on fire and may try to mess with your gear. Being a boater who's goals are to actually paddle over the weekend and not get housed, I appreciate the cops patrolling at night to keep the rowdy ones away from my gear and tent.

The idea of Gauley Fest is to raise funds for AW so they can continue to help conserve whitewater for recreational use and continue to give us paddlers access to the sections we love. Gauley Fest is their #1 fundraiser of the year. With that in mind, the cheap gear, used boats, raffles, schwag bags, entertainment and cheap camping are just a bonus.

As far as police go outside the festival - watch your back. Whether it's driving, paddling, parking or just plane going out - avoid the local cops at all costs. A majority of them hate boaters and will write you a ticket for 1 mike over the limit, no lie.
Bestcoastnatalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011   #8
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Hey Bestcoastnatalie, if you are the AW river goddess who lent us your wedding present pfds... thanks again. Only river folk would lend out expensive gear on a handshake and a smile.
For the rest of you hypalon pushing buzzers who may visit WV, know this: It is illegal to rent pfds or any whitewater gear besides demo kayaks in WV so bring it with if you're meeting non-river-rats.

neoprene farts
roosternater is offline   Reply With Quote