Old 09-01-2011   #11
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Originally Posted by mdignan View Post
The release will be 2800 cfs when you are out there, they are cranking it up to 3200 cfs the weekend after that. I've only seen it at 2800 cfs, so I have no idea how much it changes.
Then add in the flow from the Meadow part way down the Upper (It enters right above lost paddle), the meadow can be anywhere from 100 cfs to a couple thousand. All depends on rain.

raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011   #12
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2010
Originally Posted by raftus View Post
Then add in the flow from the Meadow part way down the Upper (It enters right above lost paddle), the meadow can be anywhere from 100 cfs to a couple thousand. All depends on rain.
Right, I always forget about the Meadow.

mdignan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011   #13
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
If I didn't have to be in UT monday morning I would totally be down....It used to only be a 5 hour drive from college to Gauleyfest....Definitely a crazy fun weekend as long as you watch your speed, 25 means 25.
seanski06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011   #14
., Washington, D.C.
Paddling Since: 95
Everything said here is basically right on.
Research your camping/lodging situation ahead of time so you know where you are going and have a planB. Camping at Gauley Fest is crowded and not conducive to a lot of sleep. The dam camping fills up and Swiss is long way off. Battle Run and Mountain Lake may fill up too.
Bring the play boat. Water is warm, closer to 70 degrees than 60. Air can be as cool as upper 40s in the morning.
Assume every rock is undercut and you'll be fine.
Hopping on a raft can be sketchy... I would bring some canned Colorado beer, Modus Hoperendi or Ranger to grease the wheels!
Don't exceed the speed limit. Don't drink heavily and drive.
Pickle-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011   #15
And your medical card won't work in west virginia if they find something on you.
panicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011   #16
Breckenridge, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998

I will be there for Gauley Fest. I will paddle the lower G. Staying at Battle run. Will be there thurs nite. Camping is $25/day but the space can hold 8 so it becomes affordable. Hot showers & dryers make this campground the nicest around.
If you are interested to camp with me then please send PM & I will get you my #.

Playboat. Shorty dry top or semi dry usually is enough but bring long sleeve just in case weather changes.

paddleprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011   #17
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I will be leaving for the Yough/Gauley next week on Monday night/Tuesday morning and looking to paddle with other folks on sat/sun on the Upper G. I will be running at least one raft if not two, so if kayakers want some cooler space for lunch or beer, it would be great to see some folks out there, we'd be happy to be a gear pig! Sharing shuttle duty would be awesome too...let me know. PM me or 630-272-7378 if you kick it old school like me.

wheretheriverflows is offline   Reply With Quote