Old 04-12-2011   #11
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
You can fax the new roster in a few days before the launch.

kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011   #12
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
As far as campsites go, you gotta work with the ranger and they have the final say on where you actually get to park it depending on how long/big your trip is. Come with suggestions, but realize that you will probably not get all your first picks.

Other notes on Lodore rangers: have your sh*t together. All extra paddles, first aid kit, groover for the whole party, etc. They are very, very particular about safety requirements and leave no trace supplies. Even though you are a private group, be as professional as possible and it will definitely work in your best interests.

Not sure who's going on the trip yet? It's only two months away! Get your big girl 'trip leader' panties on, and start corralling! Your permit fee is due soon, and while you can pay for all 25 just in case, it'll look pretty bad if the rangers are counting on a huge trip running that day and then you only show up with 7 dudes.

Lodore is gonna be buggy on all the slow water stretches, and bugspray only goes so far. I'm talking physical barrier: rain jackets, pants, bug hat, etc. And if you had any hint of skeeters at all, do NOT even stop at Echo Park. There are better petroglyphs/pictographs at Jones Hole and Whispering Cave is nice and all, but after you hit land, those blood sucking varmints will seek and destroy you for the next two miles downstream. Also- plan to be all the way through Rainbow park as early in the morning as you possibly can be.

Still totally worth it. Look for bighorn sheep families every evening wherever you camp, you will be right in time to watch the juveniles becoming too cool for Mom and Dad and trying to find their OWN way up the impossibly rocky cliffside.

Great views, great wildlife, fun water. Enjoy!

LeftOfCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011   #13
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Required Equipment
Type I, Type III, or Type V Coast Guard approved life jackets must be worn by each participant while on or in the river (except
from Cove Campsite to Rainbow Park boat ramp on the Green River). Type III & Type V life jackets
must be approved for
whitewater activities
(rafting, paddling, etc.) and must be appropriate for size and weight of the user. Horse-collar type life
jackets and ski and fishing vests are not acceptable.

One spare Type I, Type III, or Type V Coast Guard approved life jacket must be carried in each raft, dory, or paddleboat. One
spare Type I, Type III, or Type V life jacket must be carried for every three canoes, kayaks, and standup paddlers. Spare life
jackets must be appropriate for size and weight of the potenial users.

Make sure ALL lables on All PFD's can be read by the Ranger

Any Day on the River is Better Than----
superpuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #14
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Winnie's Rock, the first real rapid, isn't generally mentioned much, but make your left/right decision early and stick to it. I've seen good (but dithering) boaters wait too long and take a swim there.
Beardance42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #15
Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
look out for ranger doug he's pia
go2water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #16
Basalt, Colorado
Did trip in late May. Never saw a ranger...EVER. Waited 2 hours at the put in, floated three days and still never saw one.
Campsites were far enough apart that you still feel alone.
Bugs were an issue depending on were you were, so be prepared.
Awesome trip.
Enjoy and let me know if you have an extra spot!!
jalthage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #17
Originally Posted by go2water View Post
look out for ranger doug he's pia
5 trips since 06, and one coming this August, have never had trouble with any rangers on Lodore......
dport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011   #18
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Watch for moose around the Cove. They bedded down 20' from my tent!
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011   #19
Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1972
Good advice. I called the river office today and paid the permits, and will start pinning down boaters.

One issue, my wife is worried about how safe the trip is. She has only rafted a few times, lost her guide on the Arkansas so was a scary experience. I have scanned the internet and found a fatality in 2009, a lady was trapped under a raft, but dont see much about serious consequences. Lots of UTUBE footage looks pretty cool..but any comments on if it is family safe? I can handle a boat at class III fairly well..but no means an expert.

One of our party has done the river twice, Ive never been on it.

gunnisonriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011   #20
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
Class III skills should get you down the river in one piece. If you are going for safety conscious, be sure take a little time to scout the bigger rapids carefully (while watching out for poison ivy). That would be Lower Disaster, Hell's and Triplet. Maybe ask your vet. friend if he remembers where the scouts are? All three are on river left just above the named rapids on the map.

I will only offer one tiny piece of beta, which will mostly likely be super obvious, so don't take it personally, but I have seen some people miss it...And that is to be sure that you go to the river right around Lucifer Rock on Hells. At certain water levels, with only a very cursory scout, it can look like there is more current going river left of the BFR, and I have seen a small boat ride up hard on Lucifer because they didn't take the time to read the river closely enough and tried to change course at the last minute. Ugly.

This will be a great river to get your wife excited about whitewater again. If it helps, tell her that many youth camps and outward bound type groups take paddle boats of kids (12+) through it and come out fine on the other side. That is not to say don't respect the river...but you know the rest!

LeftOfCenter is offline   Reply With Quote