Old 05-04-2013   #11
overcrowdedskitown, Colorado
thanks for the input, but maybe some more.

Iraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013   #12
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I think all of the campsites are very nice in lodore canyon. I have not stayed in all of them. I think each has subtle pros and cons. Wade and Curtis has a bit af a bank and so does limestone, I think. Other things to consider are how you want your trip to flow. Do you want to run all the rapids in one day or break them into two days. The two pot creek camps and kolb will cut the rapids in half. Another thing is your last day out. You have to get to split mountain before the afternoon wind comes up. It is a lond way if you stay at the jones holes, stateline, seacliff. Not too bad if you are further down stream. How big is your group, and how well will your group be early risers. Should you have your last nite further down? Do you or anyone in your group care for fly fishing? If so, stay at jones for sure. It is a wonderful hike at jones as well. As some one else mentioned, you do not get to choose in full anyway, you just get to send in your wish list. It is a wonderful trip!

Fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013   #13
Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
How much more info do you need? They're all great camps
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013   #14
Galax, Virginia
Paddling Since: 1974
Jones hole has a nice creek, but it can accomodate multiple groups. Not bad if you like KOA type of camping- the only thing missing is convenience to the interstate.
The islands section camps can be buggy. The other camps are nice, private camps (but there are 2 camps at Rip Brook)
richierivertrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013   #15
Jenks, Oklahoma
I stayed at Compromise once and the last one before Split Mt (Island ?) once and hope to avoid them on future trips. Granted both look like good places to camp as you row up to them. At both we were eat up by bugs soon as the wind died down. Island? was so bad with bugs we could not eat outside of our tents for bugs.

As far as the rest of the Lodore / Green camp sites, they are all good in my opinion.

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote