Old 10-09-2010   #21
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Originally Posted by Kendrick View Post
Hope you had fun on Bailey, Alex. Foxton was awesome. It was kind of a roll-fest for me. I rolled 2 or 3 times in Boulder Garden alone. I think 3, but I'm not sure. I'm just happy I nailed my rolls and survived. Everyone else was very solid and never flipped like me, haha.

And Randy was a great person to paddle behind. If it weren't for him, I probably would've hit that nasty rock at the end of Waterton, and countless other bad lines.

From this thread, it was just me Randy and Rick that showed up. Then we met some other paddlers that Randy knew and they did the Foxton portion with us.

Waterton was also fun. It was real quick, lots of features packed together. It was sort of like Foxton below Boulder Gardens.

I didn't swim, and didn't see anyone else swim. Was definitely the hardest run I've done. I still don't know what a lot of it is like to run upright though
DUDE! BAILEY was AWESOME!!! I had 1 roll at the bottom of 2nd Falls (of 4 Falls) and then CLEANED the rest of the run! We had no carnage, and was a solid group of 6 of us, with another Bailey Newbie besides myself. Deer Creek Rapid is a Hella Fun Rapid! We all just ran Tampax (Last Half of Supermax) and that is a sweet rapid/drops too! The whole run is frickin sweet!

NICE Job!!! to you surviving Foxton and Waterton! That's all you can really ask for at the end of your First Season on those! Waterton is a really fun run, but is over TOO quick, and the hump back to the cars sucks balls. Foxton and Waterton are good runs to HONE your technical Paddling skills on, which you'll be thankful to have as you progress and hit harder runs.

RANDY is def a great, solid boater to have show you down those runs. As you progress in your skills, be sure to take the time to LEARN HOW TO READ the RIVER, it's features, what it's doing, what's causing/creating the rapids, etc. Reading the River is an extremely valuable skill to have/know, this way, you won't have to worry about always following.

Good Job!! I'll hit 'em with ya if you wanna get back on 'em.

If you're going to stick it out there, don't be afraid to get it cut off.
Airborne2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010   #22
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Dude Baily Really! Alex that's awesome congrats on getting it done. Despite what you wrote I am not a solid great boater and I would appreciate you not spreading those kind of rumors! Kendrick nice job yesterday you wowed the crowd with your rolling ability none of the rest of us rolled because really non of us could we would be swimming like fish if we went upside down. Fun times thanks to all October paddleing classic!

Normal is a setting on your washing machine!
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010   #23
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
Well done yesterday Kendrick. Way to stick with it when the water was stone cold. It was for sure entertaining to look back and watch. Never a dull moment and you're a rolling machine.

"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010   #24
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Sounds like you've really upped your game, Alex. I'm glad you had a clean run there, with no broken bones or missing teeth.

Thanks for the props Scott. One day, I'll be able to paddle more than 50% of the run. I look forward to paddling with you and the rest of yesterday's Foxton crew any time.

Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote