Old 07-02-2009   #1
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Float trip with climbing options

Anyone have any thoughts on a 2-3 day trip with some climbing accessible from the river?

kiwi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009   #2
Conifer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Originally Posted by kiwi88 View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on a 2-3 day trip with some climbing accessible from the river?
Labrynth would work. Canoe or raft float trip. Saw lots of lines here and there to climb on. Three Canyon would be a good layover with lots of bouldering as well as trad climbing.

Mike Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Westwater Canyon. There's some established lines down in there and probably a thousand unestablished lines. There's also some deep water soloing to be had.
stubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009   #4
GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Originally Posted by kiwi88 View Post
um, not a float but the Black Canyon has some climbing.
Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009   #5
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
....mut!!!... were readin' my mind.....the BLACK could be a 2-3 day run...a scenic run with tough portages and world class climbing, right from your boat if you are so inclined...your boy, mike pennings and i are still talking about a self supported climb/boat trip...he wants the old tourist route(easiest longest route for me)...i think it goes at 1800ft...and you start 20 steps from your boat....a nice "side hike" if you will....i've done 5 other climb/boat trips down there, but always boated solo and meet climber types at the route...super fun dealio...i want a heavy boat with climbing gear and sleeping gear....those portages before and after the route would be extra fun....hey kiwi88....the black is still nukin' right now'd better be on it...on the water and the rock....both are notorious for providin' extra "fun feelings" deep in your soul....have fun.....JUNIOR RANGER 420 CB.....
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009   #6
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Not necessarily for this year (depending on water) but some places for next year:
The Salt R (AZ) - goes through a fantastic area that looks like Joshua Tree only with saguaros.
The Grand??? Vishnu schist, limestone. Plan on climbing into Thunder river cave this August.
Probably some place in Cali, but most of those wouldn't be "float trips" More like the luxury of just bringing shoes and chalk for some boudering.

OK, so not really 2 or 3 day trips except for Cali.

Dana23 is offline   Reply With Quote