Old 05-13-2010   #1
New York, New York
Paddling Since: 2007
Fishing on MF Salmon 1st half of June?

Have a MF trip 1st half of June...Is it too early too have good fishing? What about fishing some of the tributaries? I must also confess to being unskilled in the fly fishing arena, though I do own a fly rod. I'll probably use spinners or worms if I bring a rod, unless someone has a better suggestion....

countalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010   #2
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Check the regs on the MF. I know that it is C&R only and I also seem to remember that it is flies and single hook lures only. Also they have to be barbless. As far as the quality of the fishing, it is good stuff as long as the water is clear. With this years low water it should be good to go.

boatdziner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010   #3
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Not much fishing while floating that time of year, the water is dirty and you need to keep you gear tied in. There is good fishing at the camps though.. NOt allowed to bring "Worms" or live bait, so find your favorite red devil, a big cheek full of Redman, and a schlitz and you should catch your self some dinner.

Have fun, that will be the best time to float it in 2010
Mountain Paddle Surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010   #4
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Don't let off color water discourage you - fish still have to eat, even when the water's dirty. Another thing to remember is that runoff brings new food sources like worms and terrestrial insects into the food stream. Also, during runoff the holding water becomes easier to identify - the "quiet" water on the edges and eddy's is where you'll want to focus your efforts.
slavetotheflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010   #5
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Depends on what you consider good fishin'....but the past two times I've been down (once at high water, once at medium)....fishin' was good in my book. Pretty hard to fish from the raft at higher water, but in camp it was good. The fishin' at medium was great....I remember one eddy at Sunflower hotspring was primo. You could see six feet down and watch the fish swim around in the eddy....I think I pulled out 4 or 5. I'm a spinner too...and the fly-fisher that was along did a little better than me...but it was still good.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010   #6
Grand Junction, Colorado
Took a MF Salmon trip two years ago during the 4th of July. The water was crystal clear and fishing was awesome. It might be a little cooler now and off color so fishing might be a little different but bring an assortment of dry flies: caddis, royal wuffs, attractor patterns, hoppers. These might work especially good on the side creeks. I also bring the norm for subsurface nymphs: pheasant tails, prince nymphs, hare ears, etc. I really don't think the fish are that picky and will take anything that has a good presentation.

If the water is off color focus along the banks of the river where you have a little more clarity and throw bigger dries. The fish are coming out of winter and a large meal is probably pretty tempting.
ssoren1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010   #7
New York, New York
Paddling Since: 2007
Do the regs apply to tributaries of the salmon as well? I wouldn't mind just hiking up and taking a few brookies for dinner a time or two.....
countalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010   #8
Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Yes, the c&r and single/barbless rules do apply up the tribs. It's the same native cutthroat population.
monterosport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010   #9
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
If you're not a fly fisherman you could still try the fly & bubble set-up. Works fairly well with a spinning rod. I'm usually too busy trying not to get stuck on rocks when I do my late season low water MF trips to fish from my boat. But fishing from camp is always good. Have fun. It's a beautiful river.

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote