Old 03-21-2016   #1
Atlanta, Georgia
Paddling Since: 2014
First multi-day kayaking trip

Hi All,

I'm looking to book my first multi-day kayaking trip and was looking for some recommendations. Anyone have any thoughts?

- Mid to late June
- 3-6 days
- Water should be pretty warm
- Class II/II+, some III's
- (Preferable) Water shouldn't be ice-cold

I was looking at the Main Salmon, but I'm thinking my skill level will be a little too junior for the expected big water. Looking into Desolation Canyon if I can find an outfitter to take me along.

Thanks for your help.

ketrueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016   #2
Paddling in to the Future
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
if you can roll and you're not alone, the main salmon would be fine in my opinion. I can't imagine going on the main alone.. I always have 10 to 14 friends with me. I'd do it all on a paddle board with friends to pluck me out. :-p

"Thats what" - She
PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016   #3
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Sounds like the San Juan would be a good fit for you.

There are some options to explore on this website:

rivergeek western river permits
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016   #4
Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
Just swing on up north and run the New River in WV from Sandstone to Cunard. Fits your criteria perfectly and is only 6-8 hours away from ATL.

It would be a good way to get some multiday experience....then you can go out west with more confidence, skills and buddies later.
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016   #5
Atlanta, Georgia
Paddling Since: 2014
Thanks for the recommendations. I hadn't thought about the New, but that's a great option given the location. I'll take a look into outfitters up there to see if they have some good options in the summer.
ketrueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016   #6
Anywhere out west will be chilly water in June, and at that time, the main salmon may be a little bigger than you'd like. In august it sounds perfect for you. If you don't mind a little cold and out of this world scenery, lodore, desolation, and the rogue sound like good options.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016   #7
Portland, Oregon
The Rogue is a great fit. Warm water, even in June it isn't bad, typically really nice weather, and not too hard to get a permit in June. Just have to wait for some people to give up some space to the left over pool. You could also float the rec section above the permit section to add more days and/or wait to pick up a permit. There are a handful of places to camp as well.
m.r.h. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016   #8
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Deso in late June or early July would fit your requirements. Not too cold and nothing harder than pretty straight forward IIIs and I t's mostly class II. It's kind of a rushed trip in 6 days though. Lots of time on the river to do it in six. Stretch it out to 8 days to include one or two layover days and you'll have more fun.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Nessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016   #9
Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1994
Grande Ronde might be a good choice for you. 90 miles, half of which are wild and scenic, lots of class 2 Rapids. Good river to test out the self support system you have, and practice rolling a heavy boat.
Murfsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016   #10
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
mid-june is next week, hit the Lower owyhee down from Rome, still kayak able, water will be warm, and rapids fun at this low flow.

shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote