Old 03-11-2014   #41
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Originally Posted by glenn View Post
I'm sure Leland would be on board with your style of boating. It's clear you have control and finesse placing your boat into those situations and enough understanding to differentiate safe from not safe.
That is awfully nice of you to say. Thanks!

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #42
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Its not about WHAT you's all about WHO you paddle with And with that said, it should be done in the greatest of style, with safety in mind. Getting down isn't the point. The river can be so forgiving and then in a blink of an eye, show it's power and humble you...and Grade V doesn't just humble.
1) Go to a playpark and learn to playboat and get a solid roll on both sides and hand rolls. Don't just bring you playboat, bring your creeker too.
2) Go in big holes and enjoy the beating
3) Hop on Grade III and catch every eddie, do some upstream attainment, and runs gates all the time.
4) Watch better paddlers, ask questions, and try to emulate their skill while building yours.
5) Once you've run miles of Grade III, move to Grade IV and own that Grade at all levels from low water Numbers (which isn't Grade IV) to high water whatever. Don't just run the safe line, push yourself into other lines that offer greater challenge. Catch every eddie, attain through the rapid. Practice paddling in and out of eddies backwards, back boofing, and do it all with style.
6) When you're styling Grade IV (which will take a while) then find a crew if you haven't already who are willing to take you down more Grade IV that might have a Grade V in it.

Good luck, be safe, show humility and practice.

To air is human, to get big air divine.
Dwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #43
Silverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
So maybe we just do it differently in Idaho...
I haven't paddled in enough places (yet) to know how different the "ID way" is, but it sounds like the right way to go about it to me! I also like that you commented that this progression should likely happen over a number of seasons.

As others have pointed out, it also depends on what your real goals are. If you're just looking to run (read: survive) harder stuff ASAP, then you are likely to cut corners. If you want to build a truly solid foundation, you have to put in extra time, energy, and possibly some extra dough (lessons, SWRCs, etc.).

I think getting in over your head is unwise for all involved, and you certainly do put those with you at risk when you push too far beyond your current skills. It's also possible that one might actually slow their progression by making a leap too far - think Vygotsky's Zone of Proximal Development...yes, I'm a teacher.
"This river don't go to Aintry."
gdtrfb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #44
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
My suggestion...rather than Gore or Bailey which are relatively committing, pick something road side and lap the shit out of it. Clear creek certainly has some good options. I kinda think the Poudre can't be beat. Head up to the Narrows...start with the middle...progress to lower...then upper....then run it all. Pine Creek/Numbers at higher water is a good testing ground too. When you start thinking about steeper creeks with slides and drops...head up to CB and get on the Upper dudes on OBJ and Daisy...maybe try a couple slides...a couple easier drops.

Thing don't have to commit to a whole run like Gore or Bailey...go get a taste. Have some safety set need to endanger your buddies with your crazy ass (which is why many people on this thread get their stuff bunched up) stuff roadside if you're so inclined without endangering anyone.

Sounds like your background might be similar to a raft and rivers since I was 2...swimming rapids for fun since I was 6 or 7. Respect the SHIT out of rivers but not necessarily that scared of swimming and totally understand EXACTLY what can happen (because bad swims have already happened).

Find a bomber crew, listen to them, don't endanger them...and assess the one can do it for you.

Have a BLAST!!! My .02
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014   #45
N/A, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2010
Every big rapid looks different to the eyes of the beholder.

You can hit the search function and come up with the same thing everytime:
Gore-Bailey-Pine Creek- Clear Creek of the Ark

They all have serious consequences.

Have life insurance, that covers whitewater boating?

Have any swiftwater rescue training? How fast can you set up a z-drag for your buddy who's pinned?

Have a means to provide if you do get seriously injured?

Things to think about, but those runs are there every summer. Drive to look at them without your boat and then decide.
This mustache has a weight limit!
NathanH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #46
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
is this conner? keep up the good work. like others have said, play on the rivers that you know and try new lines. you'll know when you are ready to step it up.
salsasean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #47
Conifer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998

My first rafting experience with Gore:

I ran it as paddle power on a commercial trip my rookie season. Flipped and swam Gore, Guide broke arm in Tunnel falls (came down with paddle perpendicular to boat), sent the guide and customers walking the tracks, My bro and I r2 toilet bowl and got sucked back in and flipped swam again.

I should not have run the canyon at that time. I don't support commercial guiding with V's.

You never want to swim a V. If you are it is up to you to save your own but. You better have the skills and luck to do so or death may be the alternative.

We were lucky with broken bones.

This was in 2000 I had been rafting and kayaking a few years and guiding for one. There is so much to be said about putting in the miles, being comfortable at any water level, and be willing to suck up your pride and walk away(portage if possible) if you get over your head.
Robpineau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #48
Golden, Colorado
Originally Posted by salsasean View Post
is this conner? keep up the good work. like others have said, play on the rivers that you know and try new lines. you'll know when you are ready to step it up.
Yeah it is. Forgot my password to that account. And if I do run Gore this year, I'm 99% sure I'll portage Gore.

BetterNot is offline   Reply With Quote