Old 06-18-2009   #1
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Favorite Dinosaur Trip

Thinking of trying Dinosaur and wondering which way to go. What's your favorite???

sibley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009   #2
West By God, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1999
Welcome to Dinosaur World

Paddle Iraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009   #3
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Whichever one you get invited on....

Seriously, they're both great, but you can stay on the yampa for longer...

Slightly better whitewater too if memory serves.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
We did the Green through Lodore last September. Beautiful 4-day trip, but some of the rapids were pretty rocky at 850cfs. We spent about 2 hours stuck on a rock just below Lucifer in Hell's Half Mile. I would love to run that stretch again at 1600 or 1700, just to not have to worry as much about all of the sleepers that wanted to catch us in every rapid.

I've never done the Yampa, but I very much want to...maybe next summer (assuming that we've recovered from our GC trip in March/April).
markdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009   #5
Winter Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Both the Yampa and the Green (Gates of Lodore) are beautiful stretches of river and among my favorites! I have been lucky enough to run one or the other (or both) nearly every season and I have to say that it's a toss-up as to which is better.

The Yampa is a longer stretch with nice camps, great hikes and only one rapid that needs a scout (Warm Springs). If you can catch an early season launch, you can boat for 7 days which is a nice spring trip after a long winter (although the weather this time of year gives cause for many to refer to it as the "Dampa"). Since it is free-flowing, not dam-controlled, it's got a shorter season which usually ends by mid-July depending on the snow-pack.

The Green begins with the magnificent Gates of Lodore (you can google it to see what I'm talking about). The camps are all pretty nice - Rippling Brook 2 being my personal favorite and the hikes are great as well. There are three rapids on this stretch which should all be scouted - the first being Upper Disaster Falls - I've seen many boats get hung up below the rapid at the top since it's got a huge rock garden below. At the end of this rapid, be sure to stay left because the channel to the right has an undercut wall which will flip the unsuspecting (trust me, I know - I left an oar and my river map at the bottom of this channel after I flipped). Next is Triplett - there's a camp just above it on the left and it's a hike to scout, but well worth it so you know what's coming. Last is Hell's Half Mile (scout is on the left after a long flat water stretch just after Triplett). Depending on the flow, Lucifer Rock is the "must make" move at the entrance and then, another big rock garden below - once you're past the shelf below Lucifer, get right and stay right until you get past the big rock about 300 yards below, then move to the left. There's really no clear run through the rocks, but the current moves pretty well through there.

That's it for the upper stretches - then you're on to Whirlpool Canyon and Split Mountain. Jones Hole camps have access to great hiking and fishing (be sure you have a Utah fishing license ) and Island Park Camp is the last camp before you enter Split Mountain. The rapids in Split are a bit splashy, but pretty easy to read and run.

Whether you choose the Green or the Yampa, you won't be disappointed. Have a blast!!!
CWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009   #6
Palisade, Colorado
Originally Posted by View Post
Thinking of trying Dinosaur and wondering which way to go. What's your favorite???
are you in a position to choose?

the Yampa won't have water for much longer...Lodore will run at 800 all summer long because of the fishery at Flaming Gorge...bumpy and beautiful.
peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009   #7
Actually the fisherman are kind of pissed right now because they are doing more power generation and they have been fluctuating the flows from 825 to 1600 at 10am then 2650 at 2pm and cycling that everyday. Don't know how this averages out downstream but apparently the B-Rec is planning on doing this all summer. votes goes to the Yampa. Good luck on getting a permit!

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote