Old 05-08-2011   #1
Eloy, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1972
Escalante River (Utah) in a few days

I had planned an Escalante trip for as soon as the river came up. It looks like the Escalante will be in good shape for a launch sometime between Thursday and Saturday, the 12 - 14th, and probably be OK for a few more days. Unfortunately my trip partner got hurt and can't do the trip. Due to work, the latest I can launch is the 16th.

If anyone has the boat (IK) and skills for a ten day wilderness trip with a complex and expensive shuttle, and can meet me in the Escalante or Bullfrog area between the 11th and 14th, please contact me off-group. Estimated nine days on the river and another on each side for shuttle, plus travel time getting there and back.

I'm coming up from southern AZ.

bryan burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011   #2
glenwood, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2005
pretty short notice, but i've been wanting to do that trip. I will be in Tucson this coming weekend. I may be able to get it together to leave on monday. let me know

kelly cranston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011   #3
Eloy, Arizona
It is short notice, but I'm very well stocked with food and gear so that might help. Mainly I'm looking for another boat for shuttle and, to some extent safety. I'll contact you by e-mail.

Also, for anyone else heading that way I forgot to mention that if you are already going to be there and willing to add another boat, contact me and I'll let you know what I can bring to the party. I can be in Escalante by Wednesday.

Old 05-09-2011   #4
You may want to specify that you are referring to the Escalante RIVER in Utah. From the title of the post, I would bet that most people assume you are talking about Escalante Creek. I know its obvious when you read the post, but a lot of interested class III/IV paddlers might not be clicking on the thread.

Flows are looking good. We drove by on May 1st and the visual flow looked good (roughly 30 cfs, enough to float) compared to the gauge reading of 7cfs. Gauge is climbing nicely the last few days... We were going to launch on Tuesday, but other obligations have come up. Good luck.
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011   #5
sugarloaf, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I'm leaving Boulder,Colorado tomorrow(tues.) with my friend Doug for the town of Escalante. We'll do the car shuttle to Willow with the help of a friend in town the next day(wed.).We'll be putting on the river 11am or so.
The boat shuttle is set, call for more- Michael 303 444 2514
boater Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011   #6
pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
tell me more about willow....I've never heard of a take out there.

I have taken out a crack in the wall and know you can boat to bullfrog. I had looked at hole in the wall.

I am looking for something cheaper than bullfrog but not as demanding as crakc in the wall for me and an older couple.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011   #7
Eloy, Arizona
Thanks, Mt. Buzz. Life is good, shuttle is done, I'm off for the Escalante!

fiya79, that party is setting a car on Hole in the Rock Road, but above the steep final stretch. They are sending their boats and gear out by the Marina shuttle, (now with me aboard) and hiking out to their car. So it wouldn't be any cheaper, probably not a lot less strenuous than Coyote Gulch.
Old 05-09-2011   #8
West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Good work Boater Q. Bryan, the Buzz works in different ways.
Chief Niwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011   #9
flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2001
Whats the dirt road like going to kodachrome? I'm coming in from Flagstaff to do some hiking in escalante
Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011   #10
pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Drove it last year and it was easily 2wd in about any vehicle. It had been freshly graded though so I could see it getting bad in some years. We were in a minivan. I have heard if it is raining you can forget about it.

It isn't a shortcut to take cottonwood because it is turny and a bit rough. It wouls be faster on the paved roads to get from page to escalante.

As far a codachrome basin I thought it was a bust. Regular dark red hoodoos in the middle of nowhere, some OK trails but nothing special. Both goblin valley and devil's garden are better for hoodoos along with bryce canyon. I actually like the cock's comb along cottonwood better than codachrome basin. The escalante area is awesome.

spooky and peekaboo are great day trips. If you have gear there is a ton of canyoneering.

fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote