Old 04-24-2014   #1
x, x
Paddling Since: x
encampment river beta needed

can anyone tell me about the encampment river in WY?

There is a class3-4 section, damnation ally and such. What does it need to run, is it close to in? does anyone have a gauge link for the put in?

we are looking to go in on saturday, never ran it, not sure if its in, or close.

any help appreciated.

bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #2
Ft Collins, Colorado
Not going to happen this weekend unless you've got a helicopter or snowmobiles. Best info is generally to ring the Forest Service and find out if one of the roads from Encampment is open. In past years the FS hasn't plowed, so the opening apparently depends on how aggressive the locals are in busting the snow drifts. All three roads (2 from Encampment, other from the S) to the putin are generally closed until late May or June - local info required.

It's a pretty stout III-IV. I'd peg it at IV-IV+ at most levels; Damnation might be a V- at moderate to high water. It's easy to carry the crux at Damnation, but it's pretty busy for a ways after the ledges and I've never seen anyone do a long portage there. I think an aspiring cl IV boater would be pretty excited. Watch for trees, and _DON'T_ run the far right line at the falls above Damnation. There's a very dangerous (previously fatal) and non-obvious undercut there. Run the falls (well, ledge) center or left (if the tree is gone -I haven't been there in a few years).

johng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #3
Jackson, Wyoming
2nd that, Encampment is a ways off- water is there, access is not. I'll probably be over there in a couple weeks, I'll go scout the roads. I'd bet its at least a month out though. I've never paddled it- if it runs a while I might try to get in there this year with the right group, but probably wont feel ready until later in June.
wyosam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #4
Ft Collins, Colorado
Oh, one other suggestion: Take bug repellant. The mosquitos at the take out are legendary.
johng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #5
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2003

yea you can snowmobile all the way to the put in right now its gonna take a month or so to drive back in there. and dont let the American white water gauge fool you. there is onley 126 at the put in right now and you need a good 300 to make it down. use the usgs gauge encampment river ab hog park cr, nr encampment wy
swig_squid is offline   Reply With Quote