Old 07-30-2009   #1
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
Dumont/Clear Creek these flows

So I'm thinking of doing something I probably ought to think long and hard about.

Friday I get married, will party, and on Saturday a friend has offered to lead me down Dumont of Clear Creek. Now, it's partly dumb to do Dumont, but it's more dumb to try to leave my wedding party on Saturday in Vail and get back there by dinner. I gotta be back between 5 and 6 - so what time would I need to put on?

So I'd like to know two things:
Under normal circumstances, how long is the drive from Vail to Idaho Springs (I'm not one who drives I70 much)

Is Dumont worth running at these low flows? (259 as of this morning).
It'd be my first time on Clear Creek ever. It's sharpness has intimidated me not so much because I flip a lot, but because I can't afford to crack a boat and replace it.

I'd kinda prefer to do laps on Shoshone, because I can control more there.

"self-aggrandizing jackass" - it says it right on the label
heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #2
Indian Hills, Colorado
My 2cents: not worth the drive nor the boat abuse. My cutoff is around 350 or 400. The drive is about an hour.

But more importantly, are you planning on boating the day after your wedding day? That's setting a hell of a precedent!

DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #3
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
I would think it is pretty bony at 259, but I am not talking from experience. I have only seen it as low as 630. But for every 50cfs drop or rise makes a big difference on that stretch.

And yes, your a complete dumb ass to leave your bride the day after you get married! Find something to do with your new wife. Take a hike, go biking together, whatever. I can predict a divorce if you leave her hanging out while you are on the river the day after you got married!
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Can't you just bomb down Dowd Chute or something?
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #5
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I'm all for setting precedents and such, but two hours for Dumont? The day after your wedding?? At 260 cfs???

Not. Worth. It.
I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied...learn to swim!
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #6
Send a message via AIM to damax101
I wouldn't say paddling Dumont is Dumb, leaving your new wife on the other hand...

I hit up Dumont last night at about 220, boney, but still fun. Just don't spend too much time upside down. It's actually pretty easy at this level.

I would give yourself at least an hour travel each way from Vail, put on no later than 1pm so your not rushed.

If I were in your shoes I would go with ShoSho

damax101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #7
Colorado Springs Paddling Since: 1983

At these flows you aren't looking at classic boating, just a day on the river. I personally am OK with doing ultra-low flow runs just for something new, but unless you've run all of the Eagle or are completely bored with Shoshone why do the drive to abuse your boat? Also, the Colorado above Dotsero is an option. It's pretty, has lot's of options for length, and though not hard, has decent play without any crowds.

Congrats on the wedding!
Mike Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #8
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Kim and I are headed out to do R/HT through Westwater after your reception Friday night... you can just come with us... I'm sure Laura would understand

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #9
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997

Don't go paddling the day after your wedding. period. No questions asked. hang with all the family in town...and especially your bride.

If you are still around a quick Dowd Chute, still runnable and play behind kayak crossing aprtments (just after the chute) is decent
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #10
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
You never know - his his wife could have booked a nice day at the spa for everyone but him and told him to go get lost and find something to do until dinner with strict instructions to not been seen........

Then he gets the rookie husband of the year award!

kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote