Mountain Buzz banner

Dry Bag recommendations

Tags
bag
9K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  LSB 
#1 ·
Looking for dry bag recommendations. A lot out there with high to low price tags. Hard to determine what is a quality product.

#2 ·
I've had the best luck with Watershed. Great 'ziplock' style seal that is waterproof, yet accessible to its contents. You'll pay more now, but they're well worth it in the long run. I have a couple of Colorado Duffles that I bought in 1999 or so, that are still bomber. Their warranty is excellent too. I had one with a couple of holes from being tossed off the boat (my young kids at the time), they fixed it for free.

#5 ·
My only experience is my buddy with a clear bag with about 60 holes vs my bags with zero holes

Neither is a watershed

#6 ·
I can't speak for the Watershed, although I have Watershed envy. My Seal Line bags are bulletproof and perform year after year. For a big bag I love my Jack's Plastic guitar bag. Don't put a guitar in it, but everything else fits. Had to replace it this year due to the mice loving it too. Stay away from clear. I saw the ravens go after stuff in clear bags and peck right through them on the Grand

#8 ·
Watershed.....no contest. I've got 4 of them in different sizes. The oldest one is 10 years old and going strong. Wouldn't use anything else. If you do go with something cheaper, get a duffel style. Not those horrible big river bags that you have to dive head first into to find anything.

#10 ·
I've used the Watershed Mississippi for the last 3 years. I do believe that it is the most watertight drybag around hoiwever, if you try to over tuff the Watershed bags you will spend half an hour trying to get the ziplock shut..this drives my wife nuts.. 303 on the ziplock does help to get them closed.

#12 ·
watershed is the only thing that i will put my cameras in.
I use the less expensive ones for everything else... read anything that i'd prefer to keep dry but won't die if if gets a little wet.

#13 ·
watershed is the bag that keeps contents dry if properly closed. I wish the material was stronger. I have had one of the earlier ones crack at the folds and it leaked. Ones I purchased several years ago seem to be holding up well.

Jacks Plastic is the toughest and long lasting material and if properly closed
keep stuff dry. Be careful with closing these bags as I have had some seepage which I think was probably my fault.

Watershed bags, if properly closed have never leaked on my trips.

#16 ·
Clear Watershed

I wouldn't have chosen the clear one, but the local outdoors shop gave me 30 points off, it was the only one he had and apparently he wanted rid of it.

It's not the very biggest Watershed, but next to biggest size. Which is pretty darn big.

As everyone else mentions, it surely is waterproof.

4th season now, including a Grand Canyon, Salt Wilderness, San Juans, etc.

No signs of wear, no problems whatsoever.

Can't beat the duffel, no matter what brand you choose.

For capacity, I also have Bill's Big Bag. Like the others say though, not if it absolutely can not get wet.

No raven attacks yet, but I'm going to keep it covered, now that I know.

#17 ·
How's the clear Watershed holding up? They look so much flimsier. How does the greenhouse effect come into play? Seems like a good idea for finding stuff and for being able to notice if there is moisture in it, even if the moisture came from somewhere other than the seal, like wet clothing.

I had a clear seal line that got so hot that my shoes melted, though they were crocs, so it didn't take that much.

#23 ·
I finally bought 2 watershed bags for my stuff this last season. Put 1200 miles on them last year, they held up pretty good. No holes, the zippers work well. I did tear one of the pull straps to open the zipper, which annoyed me.

I've always had just a cheap NRS dry bag. After a season or two they get beat up, on and off a boat 7 days a week for 4 months a year, will do that. So I finally bought the expensive Watershed. They work just fine, and if you only go on a trip or two a year they should last forever. I expect mine to last 3-5 seasons with heavy use.

Just my 2 cents. As far as Jack's Plastic, they are about the same price if I remember right. We use them for our guest's bags and they last and last. The material is of MUCH higher quality then NRS. With that said, go Jack's Paco over NRS' new pad.

#24 ·
I used an old ManOfRubber for years when I was video boating, never had a problem. Then they changed to Watershead. I have a Mississippi now and it seems way less sturdy and the ziplock is a pain. I usually just roll and clip it without zipping. I also have a big old Jacks Plastic bag with a roll top and cam strap that I use for tent and sleeping gear. I bought it for the Grand about 15 years ago and it's been on every overnight since then and still keeps stuff dry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.