Old 04-14-2012   #21
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
Yes, I could see a Watershed being a problem as a day bag. Once the zip locks are sealed, they are SEALED. It takes a bit of effort to get them open, which is why I trust them over other bags with my gear. I use three different sizes, but I don't use them as day bags for my rain gear, etc. However, I'll never go back to any other bag (especially not a top loader) for my main gear bags.
I treat the zip lock seals on my Watersheds with 303 at the start of every season. Keeps them clean, supple, and sealing like they should.
We used a smaller one for a day day bag for years, worked great. I'm with you on never going back to any other bags.

One little testimony: one boat in our group flipped his boat on an Alaska river, the boat remained pinned upside down for 2 nights under an enormous sweeper in fast current. After hiring a helicopter, we were able to retrieve the boat and gear. The only container that was free of water and glacial sediment was his Watershed bags--they were bone dry, as was his camera gear.

wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012   #22
pnw, Washington

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012   #23
stanley, Idaho
I finally bought 2 watershed bags for my stuff this last season. Put 1200 miles on them last year, they held up pretty good. No holes, the zippers work well. I did tear one of the pull straps to open the zipper, which annoyed me.

I've always had just a cheap NRS dry bag. After a season or two they get beat up, on and off a boat 7 days a week for 4 months a year, will do that. So I finally bought the expensive Watershed. They work just fine, and if you only go on a trip or two a year they should last forever. I expect mine to last 3-5 seasons with heavy use.

Just my 2 cents. As far as Jack's Plastic, they are about the same price if I remember right. We use them for our guest's bags and they last and last. The material is of MUCH higher quality then NRS. With that said, go Jack's Paco over NRS' new pad.
idahoriverguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012   #24
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
I used an old ManOfRubber for years when I was video boating, never had a problem. Then they changed to Watershead. I have a Mississippi now and it seems way less sturdy and the ziplock is a pain. I usually just roll and clip it without zipping. I also have a big old Jacks Plastic bag with a roll top and cam strap that I use for tent and sleeping gear. I bought it for the Grand about 15 years ago and it's been on every overnight since then and still keeps stuff dry.

"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote