Old 09-03-2009   #1
Owner: Class 5 Carvings
The Fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Driving Through Rocky Mountain National Question

So I know it's 20 bucks to drive through, but I did it once at night and the pay stations were closed, I was wondering if anyone knew if this was a normal every night thing? I dont want to stay in the park I just want to drive through it instead of going around it. If anyone has any knowledge of this, like when the pay stations close at night and when they re-open, that would be great. It's way faster to go through the park at night, and it's the most direct path to where I am headed, but I dont want it to cost me 20 bucks. Thanks.

P the K
Paul the Kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009   #2
Indian Hills
Because it is a public road, you can drive through without paying the fee. I think you have to prove that you live on the front range or on the other side of the park. It worked for me a couple of times.

With cunning skill like a duck walking a tightrope at night
miker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009   #3
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
They don't open the booths until 8am I'm not sure when they close but if there's no ranger in the box you drive right through.

If you can prove you live in Larimer or Grand counties and state you are driving through you get in without paying as well.
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009   #4
aka The Curmudgeon
Hopelessly Stuck in Yesterday, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Tri County Waiver

There is a Tri County Waiver of the fee if you are just passing thru. If you live in Larimer, Grand, or Boulder counties, and claim to be going to a destination in one of the other counties, they waive the entrance fee. A couple of notes- If you are going to a point beyond the above counties, the waiver does not apply. When the fee is waived, you also do not have the right to use park facilities, and supposedly you may not even stop. That part is not policed and not enforced, however. I think the waiver program may be coming to an end this year, but it was fun while it lasted!
captishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009   #5
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
What? I drove around that place so many times to save $20 and even dropped the cash a few times. Lame.
GPP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009   #6
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
I have passed through in my truck when going to a job site up by FC. The point being is I am not from the mentioned counties and just told the booth attendant that I was passing through for work. I did not have to pay and did not have to show any proof. Maybe since I had ladders on the truck it was obvious.

Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote