Old 09-18-2007   #1
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Dream trip planner

well I am bored at the computer so I propose a private cost-sharing trip to somewhere exotic with at least one year to plan and save, class III thru V multiday is my main criteria.

Some ideas...

Australia, Cairns area: warm up on the Tully, move on to the North Johnstone - maybe try the Herbert with the 300 ft waterfall rappel portage... season is April thru June so we could go for late April of 2009.

Siberia, Barnaul area: options include Chulyshman or Bashkaus! Season is septemberish. could shoot for sept 2009. there are many other options in central asia - the book Rivers of an unknown land is lots of food for thought.

South Africa, Mzimvubu river multi-day class IV & V with portages? Its in Krugers book and I will be on the Grand with him this winter so I'll pick his brain about this or other options in Africa. not sure of the best season.

Peru, yes of course the Cotahuasi and/or Apurimac (late summer fall season).

For a cheaper option there is some stuff in canada worth considering. Chilko/Chilkotin, South Ram.

Post your dream trip here and contact me if you want to rally. I am trying to put it far enough in the future so we can set aside time, funds, plans, friends to just do it. I think kayaks and small breakdown cats.

mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007   #2
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
I try to rally a few big trips a year if financially possible. Ideally, I like to do one big road trip somewhere I haven't been in the states I haven't been, one new section that requires a permit, and one exotic trip.

Last year I pulled a Middle Fork trip and a Mexico trip. This year I'm working on Mexico for Thanksgiving, Chile for Christmas, Cat for the early spring, and maybe some Cali or East Coast boating.

I'd be totally down for rallying a big trip for summer of '08 or '09. Unfortunately, I may have classes to work around, which limits my schedule somewhat. I've been looking at either Norway or China for 2008. I've also looked at Japan, South Africa, NZ, Spain, Italy, and more.

Does anybody know anything about when the best time of year to paddle in Croatia is? What language do they speak? Russian?

North Quebec has a lot of unexplored stuff.

Cotahuasi would be sick!!!

There's a lot of expedition stuff in Mexico I'd like to check out at some point.

I've given at least some thought to almost everything you can imagine; it's just a matter of prioritization for me, now. I've been leaning towards checking off the Spanish speaking countries first since I'm pretty comfortable with the language.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007   #3
Grand Dysfunction, West Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995

Are you thinking of "hike"able gear only, as one would do on the Gunny Gorge? If not, any rafts, max numbers of, or size of.. small frame ok? What are you planning on taking on the water?

Totally interested and... am saving money for '09 already. Anywhere new (tothisboringassself) and out of the country is great.

raft3plus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007   #4
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
For such an awesome idea that could take up countless hours of planning when you should be working, I'm surprised this hasn't gotten more bites. So I went through my list of places and rivers I want to check out and picked out the that satisfied the III+-V and 3+days criteria and here's what I've got:

Rio Urique through Copper Canyon-Up to 130 miles with a couple of options to make it shorter (Upper, Middle, and Lower). Toughest water (Vish) is a the top and easiest (III is at the end).

Rio Moctezuma-90 miles with shorter options (again, Upper, Middle, and Lower). V at the top, III at the bottom.

Rio Santa Maria-60 miles if you combine the Upper (1st and 2nd Gorges), 45 miles, with the Lower (3rd and 4th Gorges), 15 miles. You could extend it further with the Tampaon run if you wanted.

Rio Verde-30 miles for all three canyons, with some portaging and rapping. I talked to someone who did this as a 3 day trip and loved it.

Costa Rica: I think there are four sections of the Rio Serapaqui that could linked together for a 2-4 day trip with some solid V on the Upper-Upper, IV+ on the Upper, and III/IV on the Middle/Lower.

Peru: The Cotohuasi and the Apurimac are on my list.

Far East: I don't know a whole lot about any of these but they all seem to have potential-the Yellow and the Yangtze in China, the Tamur in Nepal, and the Doda/Indus in India.

A little closer to home (well...kind of), the Tatshenshini and Alsek Alaska are top on my list.

If anyone's into it, I'd be into doing an exploratory trip somewhere in Alaska, North Quebec, BC, Europe, etc.

I think on this list, my top choice for a trip between 2008 and 2010 would be the Urique or the Cotohuasi. Anybody?

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote