Old 01-24-2009   #1
Estacada, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1980
Down the green in mid may.

I thinking of a trip down the Green River to the Colorado River in May 1-15.Is the river blown out from snow melt at that time? Are there any beaches to camp on? Are there any rules that i should be heads up on? Thanks

Eagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009   #2
Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
"Blown out from snowmelt?" You mean is it high water? Its usually flowing somewhat decent by then. I wouldn't count on there being too many beaches,not sure though. I take it your talking about doing Labyrinth and Stillwater(Green River) down to the confluence? You've got to get a permit for Labyrinth(you can pick it up at the put-in) and a permit thru Canyonlands Natl Park for the Stillwater section. Which is a call-in permit,i think...

Groovers may be required. I dunno,no one checked me in at Green River state park but we had ours. Don't go shittin everywhere

BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009   #3
the zoo, Montucky
If the Green rules are the same as the Colorado River side (I'm almost sure they are) a groover will be needed. Also, you will need a shuttle if you are just going down to the Confluence. You could also float to Mineral Bottom, and take out there. At least you don't have to pay a jet boat to take you back up. You will need a permit if you go below the confluence, which is call in. Shitty thing is, when we did ours, the reservation office was closed in moab, so we had to go all the way to Island in the Sky. That is a long friggin drive to get a permit. I think TAG will probably be running their jetboat by then. I don't know what they charge, I have a good drinking relationship with the dude that runs it, and am priveledged, as they call it. It should be starting to shape up by May.
"What once was a river. Now a ghost." Edward Abbey
My Adventures
skibuminwyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009   #4
Estacada, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1980
Down the Green in May.

So my plan is to put in at Green River, Ut. and run down to the confluence and up the Colorado to Moab,Ut.. I was going to get the rigs shuttled to Moab.We are taking my 25' Diesel Jet and a few other jet boats.(open invite).I thinking maybe two Yaks on my boat.Were do i find infomation on launch sites? How soon do i need to go after permits?Can i dead drift the river in the big boat and run the BBQ at the same time?Is May to late to go? I'm doing the Main Salmon in Idaho in around 13-24 of april.Thanks much

Eagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009   #5
RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
Green To Moab(potash)

first off, you want your rigs shutled to Potash not Moab. Call forest service in town(Moab) for the permit thru Labrynth. Second bring a toilet just because.
Once you've made the turn at the confluence, watch out for sand bars if the water has'nt come up yet.coyote shuttle is your best bet.
Big Dave
pasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009   #6
backcountry ski bum
You're not going to run into a lot of jet boats or any other motorized craft on the Green. It will be rafts, touring kayaks and canoes so a 25' jet boat might feel a little overkill. You can easily run the Green through labyrinth and Stillwater in 8 days in a muscle powered boat at medium flows, I would think a jet boat could do it in a day or two at most.

Dead drift? You mean drift with the motor off? Well, that would be nice for everyone else on the river, but as has been already mentioned, there are a lot of sand bars and shallows, even at higher flows so you will probably want to be able to steer your craft.

During high water on that stretch a good portion of the beaches will be under water, but water doesn't often start to really rise till later in May so there might be plenty of options, it all depends on the weather.

Very pretty stretch of flat water. Perfect for a tandem canoe
stillkicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009   #7
the zoo, Montucky
Jet boat??? That is almost sacraligious.
"What once was a river. Now a ghost." Edward Abbey
My Adventures
skibuminwyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009   #8
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2003
I've done that trip in Canoes and Katyaks. You need a groover and permits. There might be some beaches in early May but if there isn't you can pick a side canyon ond go up them a little ways unless the water is high 30K and then you can go way up them to camp. Remember to not pass up the takeout below the confluence because if you miss that place you are looking at Cataract Canyon. There is a sign, don't pass the sign that warns of impending doom.
spankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009   #9
Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
Hey big bird
have you heard of the Friendship cruise?
oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009   #10
Paddling Since: 1993
The wife and I did Lab/Still this sept. Super sweet trip! Tag A Long charges 150 per person and the same for a raft, It was 450 total. Nothing for canoes I believe. The jet boat ride was steep but it was really a cool way to end a great trip.

h2obro is offline   Reply With Quote