Old 04-14-2004   #1
Dominguez Canyon Info?

Has anyone done the 43 mile trip thru Dominguez Canyon? Lookign to get a trip together with some friends and need info if this is doable on canoes during Mid May? Looking to plan a 3-4 day trip. We are relative novices and want a relaxing trip at this point? Anyone have any experince with this portuion of teh Gunnison. Put in is located near Delta. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I've not done this stretch, but from what i've read it would be right up yor alley. Occasional class II rapids, but good floating and beautiful side hikes W/ petroglyphs, if you go far enough.

Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004   #3
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I floated Dominguez a few years ago in mid May - I remember it being really beautiful, flatwater for the entire trip. We put in at Escalante Creek and took out at Bridgeport, I think. Western Whitewater refers to Dominguez Creek Rapid as II- and mentions a couple of riffles and a diversion wier.

I don't remember any rapids though the flow was about 5K cfs, and any riffles may have been washed out. I've heard folks say that running the entire reach from Delta to Whitewater (there's no whitewater there) takes you through some less pleasant countryside. Much of the land on river left is the Dominguez Canyon Wilderness Study Area so it should be pristine (though there may be drill rigs all over the place these days...).

If you go, make sure to take plenty of time or even a layover day for a long hike up Dominguez Canyon (good campsite), its spectacular and I regret not spending more time there. I found the BLM folks in Grand Junction very helpful - call them and they'll send you info and maps. 970-244-3000.

Another good float that would be good in a canoe would be the White River out in Utah. This offers beautiful scenic canyons.

Have a good trip!

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004   #4
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
I put in at delta a few years ago and took out at the first takeout (not whitewater) I can't remember the name
We used the shuttle service from the camper park right there on the river
I think they let us camp free and use their putin for the price of the shuttle (nice folks)
It was an easy float
but there was no camping except for the designated sites
so if theyre full you can expect to be sleeping in a cow pasture
ive heard tell of a spectacular camp that has a waterfall and plunge pools somewhere in there
let me know if you find it
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote