I posted this in the raft trip planner section, but not sure if kayakers look over there much so I'm posting here too.
Its starting to cool down and the days are getting shorter, but its still a great time to get out on the river and I wanted to do one last multi-day trip. I'd also been wanting to hit Westwater all year but never got there so we tacked a Westwater trip on as well. Currently there are three people going on the Lodore part and two of us for Westwater but I have a few maybe's for both and would like to have more people on either or both as well.
Westwater puts on the 25th and we are doing an overnight. Lodore puts on midday on the 27th. We are planning on driving up to the put in right after taking off Westwater, so it will be a relatively early start to the day on the 26th so we can take off early enough to get to Lodore before it gets dark.
Westwater details are as follows:
- Put in on the 25th
- $10 per person plus food costs
- Running our own shuttle
- Undecided on where we camp right now...might do below the rapids to make getting off the river early more possible. I do prefer the camps above though, so we'll see how it goes.
- BYO Lunch and beer/booze. I'll neither condone nor deny any Green products
Lodore is a longer trip. Putting on the 27th and taking off the 31st, so 4 nights 5 days. That long of trip makes for relatively short days, but with the days getting shorter its nice to get to camp with plenty of daylight left.
Lodore details are as follows:
- Equal split of the $200 permit fee, plus food costs, plus shuttle costs of $140 per vehicle. The more people who come, the generally cheaper its gets. It mostly depends on how much carpooling happens.
- We will be running the shuttle through River Runners Transport
- Tentatively camping at Pot Creek, Limestone, Jones Hole and either layover there for a day and hike and fish or move down to "The Cove" or Big Island the last night depending on how people feel.
- Its gonna be relatively low water, with projected 1300 cfs average flow out of Flaming Gorge. Still fun, especially for kayakers.
- Right now I have three rafts coming, so plenty of gear carrying capacity.
- Food wise, we'll make final decisions once the trip list is settled, but you'll be responsible for cooking at least one meal and more likely two (breakfast and dinner essentially).
- BYO for lunch, Beer and Booze. Its a National Monument partially in Utah, so bring Green products at your own risk.
- If you come along, you'll need to bring a spare paddle. We have the rest of the required gear covered. I think we need a 1 spare for every 4 kayaks.
These are both rivers with Class IV rapids. Its getting colder too, so you'll need both river and camp gear. I'd heavily prefer to have people with a bomb proof roll, since its hard to rescue a kayaker from a raft in a timely manner.
This should be an awesome pair of trips and I'd love to have a bunch of people come along. Its a relatively small group right now, but I can take as many as 25 on each trip. In reality I'd probably keep it to 12-16 people max, but I don't think that will be a problem I'll have to worry about.
Post up here or shoot me a PM if you are interested in coming along.