Old 12-07-2011   #31
dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
The rangers at Ruby/Horsethief told us that stretch and westwater were going to go no-dogs-allowed also because of poop around camps. Bummer, but if people can't clean up after their animals I guess it pretty inevitable.

chepora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #32
A sweet, well behaved river doggie can put a smile on my face faster than anything. But how would you feel if you were trying to rig for a float (had to take a week off work, and we all know the effort to get a trip together) and then you get bitten by a dog and end up going to the hospital for stitches and possibly rabies shots instead? And with the state of affairs, you probably get to pay out of pocket due to no or lousy health insurance. And then there is the Ranger, wondering if he is going to be included in the million-dollar lawsuit that may follow....... Just saying..... Yes, there are more good than bad, but the few bad can cause some really big problems for everyone. One a side note - I walked a 1 mile section of hike/bike path in Golden (where it is the law to pick it up) and came across 2 trash bins with provided poo bags, and 20 piles of dog poo on the ground along the trail. Maybe it was one bad owner who walked their dog 20 times?

jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011   #33
aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1957
Finally for once i approve of what the rangers are doing..."no dogs, cats,goats, sheep, keep your animals off the river...!...last time a dog threatned me was his last time..
ducksrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011   #34
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Originally Posted by ducksrus View Post
... keep your animals off the river...!
That eliminates half the boaters on the river too! LOL
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011   #35
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
If it is just due to poop, then all dog owners are to blame. If you have a dog, pick up all the poop you see. Inevitably your dog left some behind somewhere else. I think "incidents" are way overplayed.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011   #36
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 02
This thread is interesting, along with the dog ban. I have hunted Chukar up the Grays river road with my bird dogs for most of my life. The deso takeout at Swaseys beach is always full of the local party crowd and their pets. Are they enforcing this for all patrons or just rafters? I suspect the folks camping at the roadside spots have a grander likely hood of dog issues than floaters. I once had to find a different put in due to a dog tied to a bumper at Nephretiti, but that is about it. It really stinks if the permitees are taking the hit for the local crowd's action that will go without penalty. Also sucks if I have to find a new destination to work my pup.
God Bless SKA Brewery-Sturgeon General
C-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011   #37
Carnation, Washington
Paddling Since: 1990
so the question is should horses be banned from the middle fork. There is alot of horse poo on the trail and around some of the camps. I haven't heard of any pack horse that pack out the poo?
RutRow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011   #38
boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
i dont think th main issue is th scat. it's about th fundamental difference between dogs and horses. dogs are a pack animal whereas horses are a herd animal. and when in small numbers arn't much of a danger to people other than their riders. whereas pack animals can be very aggressive even as individuals and particularly when in a pack. in my neighborhood, in th foothills west of boulder, we have horses and dogs. ive been attacked by a pack of dogs (~15) but have never been bothered by th horses other than th occasional 1 that comes to eat grass on my evaporation field. that tends to compact it and isnt a good thing, but nothing like th harrowing experienced of being under siege. i need to run to town now but if anyone is interested i can elaborate on th dog attack when i return.
i hope u all understand that im neither pro or con wth respect to dogs. im just trying to provide info to help us and th BLM reach a good solution. my neighborhood problem/solution is totally different than th 1 we have on th river. but there is some overlap and relevant information. be back later
phlexicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011   #39
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
That's a shame. We took Ruby the River Dog on Deso in October a few years back. She loved it and we loved having her with us on the river.

We were the only ones at the ramp on our launch day, saw almost no one on the trip, and never camped within sight of another party.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011   #40
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
That's too bad. Had wanted to take Hazel and Lila there someday, I guess we'll just stay in Idaho. They like the MF Salmon pretty well, and the USFS is quite dog friendly.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote