Old 09-06-2006   #1
Dog Sitter?? 1/2 day Moab Area

I am headed to the Moab area this weekend, Sunday September 10. I had wanted to spend at little time at Arches National Park, and I know they don't allow dogs on the trails there.

I was hoping someone 'out there' wouldn't mind watching my dog Ozzie for a morning or afternoon. He is small 40lb dog, and gets along with everyone and everything~small dogs, big dogs, kids, babies, and never bites people or is overly aggressive.

An ideal place to leave him would be someone who already owns a dog who likes to play (ozzie can play all day) and has a fenced in back yard or something of the sort. If this sounds like anyone or anyone someone might know, that would be really awesome. I would be willing to trade some of Colorado's finest brew for an afternoon of dog sitting.

Let me know what you think, or if there any other good alternatives

Reply here, or email

watahwatah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #2
Indian Hills, Colorado
If you can skip seeing actual "arches" in favor of some great sandstone scenery, check out klondike bluffs on the north western corner of the park. I think you can access this part from a dirt road off the highway as opposed to going through the main gate. It's real pretty, a good hike and out of the way of rangers and rules. Goblin Valley is another cool spot a bit futher down I70, not sure about the dog situation there. The SanRaf Swell near Goblin Valley has awsome camping, is all blm dog friendly and offers some great technical and non-technical slot canyoning. I think there's some good camping near wildhorse canyon there and I believe the area is cool with pups.

If you venture into the slots with your pooch, wag bag his ass and pack it out. A turd in the desert be there for a while.

South Canyon has been in and out, so you should probably bring along a play boat for the drive to/from.

Good luck.

DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #3
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
There is definitely professional boarding in town if you don't have any other options. The end of Klondike Bluffs allows you to look into the outer edge of the park, although I think you actually pass the boundary at the every end, so -technically- you're probably not supposed to have the pooch there. I would still recommend paying your fee to drive in and picking a nice hike. It's a pretty special area.
KSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #4
Yea, I definitely have a hike in mind already that is in deep in the touristy/no-dog area. I just would rather leave him with a cool acquaintance than paying the day care...But, gots to do what you gots to do. We'll see where this ends up going...

Old 09-06-2006   #5
Does someone know of a good website in Utah or the Moab area to post this request to? That would be good.
Old 09-26-2006   #6
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Dog Sitting

I know it's after the fact but if you ever need a dog sitter drop me an email. We have a 45lb Catahoula who is really friendly and loves to play with other dogs. We live in Boulder and we also need a dog sitter from time-to-time. As far as Utah goes, my husband brings our dog to Utah several months a year for long backpack trips into the canyons. So if you ever want info on Utah canyons that are dog friendly, email.

Hope you had a great time in Arches.

Strider is offline   Reply With Quote