Old 01-06-2010   #1
Seattle, Washington
Dirty Devil Access

I know it ain't the year, and it'll be low, and it'll be more hiking than boating and all that jazz. But I what I don't know is how best to do the takeout. Looks like the road is closed these days.

So, go to Lake Foul? How bad are the mud chutes if we have a class II paddler in the group?

Or take out at Poison Springs? Sounds like the good hiking is above, but got no way to run a shuttle.

Anyone wanna share beta? I'll share pix when we get back!

slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010   #2
Send a message via ICQ to northfwestg

you gonna float the dirty, i been there, its a devil alright

northfwestg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #3
Tacoma, Washington
Paddling Since: 1977
The mud chutes probably verge on class 3 - however a class 2 paddler, with instruction on the trip, would likely be able to handle it, but it is a risk. FWIW, it might well be best to swim to the lake with an unloaded boat than attempt to get out, given that it is very, very mucky. Definitely scout prior to the trip.

If the lake keeps rising on recent trends it will not be an issue at all.

There is supposedly an alternative takeout six miles up from the bridge at, as I recall, Sheep Springs. I've been 3 miles up the track, on the west side. I stopped at a spot where I rebuilt the road and decided NOT to test my workmanship.

FWIW, the best craft for this river at normal flows might well be keelless lake canoe - given the high carrying capacity and short draft. I did it with a high rocker whitewater canoe and was able to carry quite a bit of stuff. I walked 75% of the river barefoot on sand (kinda fun, but not fast) - and needed to drag briefly every 50-100 yards or so.
DLTooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #4
denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
dirty devil- sr

If you re looking for others I have exp, gear & fitness RP
mozzelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #5
Professional Transient, See above.

I ran from Hanksville to the "Dirty Devil" take out on Lake Powell (Upstream of the official Hite marina), where many people take out for cat, when I did the trip this year.

There is only one rapid I would have any concern about for the class 2 folk, which is pretty much the last rapid one deals with before getting to the Lake.
Class 3(+?) when we were there I guess. Didn't look to be a convenient portage as it was where a rock wall started on the right (and it was a rock slide from this wall that created the rapid). The left side is all rock wall. Tons of tammies prior to the rapid one may have to push through if not running it. Though the river was only a foot or two deep when we were there.

From Hanksville to Poison Spring took us roughly 3 or 4 days with lots of ducky dragging (not overloaded). From Poison Spring down it took a fraction of that, as the river channels and it's much more pleasant with what low flows that thing regularly gets. I think we had something like 250 cfs.

The last several miles were described to me as a "roller coaster," before I went in there. I found it to be flat, fast moving water often in a channel a couple of feet deep and as narrow as 15 ft. It was great. If the boaters can keep the boat straight in this part they should be fine.

I'd watch out for strainers (or at least warn your class 2 buddy). We only saw a couple of real ones, which were all easily avoidable, though in the bottom section the river is cutting quickly into the silt walls and tammies are falling into the river all over the place.

If you're there in June, take bug spray! Vicious horse flies on all of the hikes.
st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote