Mountain Buzz banner

Dinosaur Echo Park put in/take out scenario

Tags
ark
7K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  76763 
#1 ·
Boaters-
I'll call the Dino River office at some point about this but just wondering...

Anyone ever take out/put in at Echo Park in recent times?

(My 1st trip was in 1974 with a launch at Echo and one night at Jones and another at Rainbow Park. Probably no permit needed back then (I was a little kid).)

Hypothetically, let's say that you have a Yampa launch date for mid- July but there is not enough water to float it in traditional style. You've paid your fees back in June and they are non-refundable. Could you launch at Echo Park on the day that you would have passed it coming down the Yampa on a good flow? (Let's say Day 4). Still camp 2 nights below Echo (because you've already been awarded the extended permit). So you do a bit of car-camping/exploring at Echo Park, then launch for a 2 night-three day trip on down to Split Mountain. You've already got the permit so what's the big deal?
Or, the other scenario is that you launch on your Yampa trip at way low water (IK,Canoe, etc) and plan on being in there for awhile because the water is so low and the trip length on your permit is for only 5 days. You might need to spend all 5 days getting through the Yampa and then forgetting about the 2 days to get down to Split Mtn take out.

I think I already know the answer but curious about any experiences the Buzzards might have had with these scenarios.

Thanks-
MC

See less See more
#2 ·
I did a low water IK/Kayak trip a couple years ago. I'd figured 6 days from Deerlodge to Split Mt. takeout. Even at low flows (250-350cfs) we went twice our planned mileage the first day, and ended up with a layover day, and a day where we only went 3 miles. I had been down there as low as 800 in a raft, and before the low water trip figured we'd have to drag our duckies a bit. After having seen 250, I think I could have put a small, lightly loaded raft down with few problems.

Anyway, I know that wasn't the question, but there's my input.

#3 ·
I tried running your first scenario of putting in at echo by the river office and was told that is a no go.

I have pulled off your second scenario in a way. We dropped a few people off at echo who needed to get back for a wedding. They were just passengers so there was no need to de-rig anything. Not sure how the river office would feel about a whole group taking off at echo.

#7 ·
For what it is worth, in my opinion

That day run thru Split Mountain has the best rapids one after another on either Ladore or Yampa Multi day runs. Not that long time wise to run and shuttle is kinda long.

The only thing that takes away from the Split Mountain Run is that drive up to the put in needs a hi clearance vehicle or else a very good driver. I have seen a little sports type car parked at one of the pull outs so it can be done. That road also turns into grease like mud after a good rain storm. In a 4WD pickup it is not a problem. I think outfitters drive it in a schoolbus, but they have a lot of experience driving that road.

I live a day and a half drive from Deer Lodge put in but have often thought about just driving out and camping there at the nice camp grounds at the official take out for Split Mt and just doing multiple day runs.

#8 ·
Restocking at Echo

I have a related question - we are going through Lodore in August, but in a combination of kayaks and duckies. Do you think it would be possible to leave a car at Echo with a kick-ass cooler and food in it to restock when we get there? Is there a place to park, or would we need to pay for a campsite?

#9 ·
forget the car- take a raft

Take a raft to carry that kick-ass cooler! No need to park a car at Echo Park. Long drive in there, plus shuttle logistics ($) and there's always enough water in Lodore for a raft.

Plus, if you camp at Jones, the creek will chill some beverages in no time.

#12 ·
echo park launch?

mc,
it's my understanding that if you have a yampa permit and there isn't enough water(and kelly the nps river permitting woman) that they will transfer your permit to the gates for launch. i don't believe you can use echo park access for anything more than dropping off/or gaining people from your party and doing some exploring to petros, caves or wagon wheel hike. i.e. you cannot derig or launch a river trip there. have fun and if you don't have assigned campsites, layover at jones #4.

#13 ·
"... it's my understanding that if you have a yampa permit and there isn't enough water(and kelly the nps river permitting woman) that they will transfer your permit to the gates for launch."...

I've heard that too. I think that's only during high use season? I've got a launch a few days into low use. Wouldn't think they would transfer to Lodore. Anyone know?
MC

#16 ·
Pretty sure that is what the ramp is there for...I say yes. Might give the River Office a call to make sure they are cool with it. I've thought about doing this on a trip where I needed to take out a few days earlier then the rest of the people on the trip.

I do know that they ARE NOT cool with you pushing out to Split Mountain a day earlier then the rest of your party.

#18 ·
Yeah, a couple of buddies and I have been respectfully trying to pursue alternate trail or other put-in's or take-out's in DNM for pack rafts (I mean, that's why they call them pack rafts, right?). No latitude whatsoever. Can only put in at Deerlodge or the Gates for a DNM trip, only take out at Split Mountain. No exceptions, no Echo Park use for overnight trips.

But ironically, they seem to be flexible on "play permits," ie one day permits to cross the river, mess around, etc. Last year I put in at Echo Park, floated a mile down the Green, took out, hiked over the saddle on Steamboat Rock, then floated back down the Green on the other side of Steamboat back to Echo Park (I was scouting climbing routes, fwiw). No problem.

-Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.