Old 04-21-2008   #1
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Desolation/Gray May 21- Boatman needed

I had everything set but lost my second boatperson. If I cannot find someone I will have to cut number of people on the trip. Please join us to row my second boat and fell free to bring a friend. We are a friendly easy going group with a lot of outdoor and river experience. I have planned several boat trips and have detailed information. We plan to be on the river May 21 to May 26, Memorial Day. Folks are planning to be there by May 20 so that we can leave early on the 21st. I am going over on May 19 with my truck and the boats on a trailer in order to get everything ready. I am working out the transfer of the cars so that folks who need to can leave on Memorial day and get back for work, the trip from Green River to Denver will take about 6 hours.

I have 2 rafts, a 16-17 ft Hyside self bailer and 15 ft self bailer, and a duckie. I need someone to row the second boat. I have people who will help but no one who feels confident to be the boatmen. I will row one boat. I have done the San Juan, Colorado, and Arkansas; and I will be taking Guide Training from Bill Dvorak's on the Dolores, Arkansas and Desolation/Gray this year before the trip. The rafts have Down River frames with seats and dry boxes, Sawyer wooden oars, ice boxes, all the required safety equipment etc. I have all of the kitchen equipment, fire pan, stove, etc. I have dry bags, PFD, helmet, Paco pad (for sleeping) etc. for you. You will need foul weather gear, clothes including cold weather, water shoes, hat, sun glasses, sun tan lotion, toilet items etc. I have a tent and sleeping bag if you need them.

We will total about 7 people. Additional friends for the High Country River Rafters club may join us. We are a friendly fun loving group and will welcome you. We are all looking forward to the trip.

This year should be a good one with all of the snow above the Yampa River.

mccourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #2
Lyons, Colorado
I left out my contact number. If you are interested in joining our trip Please call me at 303-641-2806.

Old 04-28-2008   #3
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
My brother rowed Cataract by himself having never been in a raft before, at over 20K CFS.

This by the way was my idea because I kayak, and needed someone to carry my beer and gear.

Never had a problem on class IV+ BIG water.

Deso/gray is III maybe III+ at higher water

I say someone in your party can row that with just a few minutes of practice.

I've never boated before, but I have posted a lot on Mountain Buzz!
rg5hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #4
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
I'd agree with that(though I surely wouldn't want to row Cataract at 20K if I had never rowed before). Deso is the perfect place to break in new rowers. The nice thing is that you get to row a bunchof small rapids before you get to the first one where you need to be paying even a little attention(Steer Ridge), and as long as you line up river left you are good there. Coal Creek and Joe Hutch need a bit of rowing around rocks, but you've already rowed 40 or so small rapids by then so anyone sort of athletic with an idea of how to read water will be good to go. I'd go for sure if I wasn't starting a new job the week before, but you should really just go anyway - I think you would have to try really hard to flip and even then in maybe one rapid. Otherwise there are places you can pin, but the river isn't pushy so it shouldn't be bad to yard a boat off even if the worst happens.
atg200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #5
the zoo, Montucky
Agree with the rest. We've taking college spring break guide training classes down deso/gray, with people who have never even sat in a raft before, and they all do fine. Just give er. You'll be fine, more than likely, and if there are any rapids that people feel uncomfortable with, you should be able to ru, eddy out, walk back up, run their boat through, but I don't remember of hearing anything super nasty. It sure ain't Cat.
"What once was a river. Now a ghost." Edward Abbey
My Adventures
skibuminwyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008   #6
Lyons, Colorado
Deso/Gray trip

Thanks a lot for the feedback. It is good information and support.