Old 06-23-2010   #1
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Desolation Canyon August 3rd...Suggestions

I am running Desolation Canyon on August 3rd. Any suggestions?

# of days, shuttle, bugs, thanks any information/suggestions are very appreciated. Matt

beanack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010   #2
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
River Runners of Vernal does good job on shuttle, as do the people in Wellington (Caynon of the Ancients). Will be hot, bugs at Sand Wash for sure. Tough it out - - will be worth it. Scout Joe Hutch but it's not as bad as it looks. 5 nights is minimum for me that time of year, 6 even better. Have fun!

BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010   #3
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Pack a good assortment of beverages, mosquito repellent, and pool floating toys. It is a good river to learn to kayak on. Good fun splashy rapids and beautiful scenery. We usually go for longer trips 7-8 days. River Runners in Vernal does a good job with the shuttle.
noschoollikeoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010   #4
Denver, Colorado
River Runners' Transport & Rentals, 800 930 RAFT (7238. They recently did great work for our trip, including charging a dead battery (dome light left on) and airing up a low trailer tire. $200 per vehicle. Plus, I wish I had waited until I got to their store in Vernal; instead I panicked and bought a sub-par guidebook in Denver. They had a better book at a lower price. Plus I and others picked up numerous last-minute items at their rafting shop, which was a solid, and fairly priced, rafting-specific shop. Plus dining advice, no extra charge.
ridecats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010   #5
logan, Colorado
I would use a green river shuttle. They are awesome, took amazing care of us on our trip. In Aug I would be looking to do at least a 6 day private and push off early from sandwash. No reason to hang with the bugs at the turtle camps, get to Jack Creek and start enjoying your trip. Look for a good hike at Rock Creek, layover at Log Cabin, Range creek (tons of native american stuff), cabin at firewater, tons of stiff to do. Not to mention you are going all that way have a nice relaxing trip.
River Express Shuttles
Ric Schmidt
Kelly Dunham
Fax: 435-564-8365

have a great trip
jquinn79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010   #6
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Another satisfied customer of River Runner shuttle, in fact I've used them 2 times this year already and planning on using them this weekend and on my July Deso trip. Wonderful folks, totally came through for us on an early emergency evac on the Yampa trip.

Their Vernal store is awesome for all kinds of hard to find gear.
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010   #7
kittredge, Colorado
Just came off Deso. Bugs weren't bad, but do bring the spray. There weren't tons of people on the river, so getting a campsite wasn't so bad. I particularly love the second camp at Wire Fence Rapid. It's awesome!

Plan on alot of rowing since it is low, but I could usually get 15-20 miles in a day no problem and got into camp at around 2 each day. I would suggest trying to get into camp around that time each day because the wind picks up in the afternoon and can be quite brutal. I was glad to be off river sitting in my hammock watching the wind blow!

Joe Hutch was pretty simple. It's does look more intimidating than it is. It reminds me of Wire Fence. Only 3 real rapids that qualify as class 3 at this flow, I would say (Joe Hutch, Three Fords and Coal). The rest are just class 2 stuff.

And if you have a small group, there is a nice little put in to the right in the tammies that you can use and avoid the choas at the regular putin. (past the first campspot on the right you'll see a little road). I always use it.

Hopefully that helps! Hope you have a great trip!

PS River Runners Transport is all I use. I've used them for all my Deso, Yampa and Gates trips. Great people!

I choose the road less traveled. Now where the hell am I?
nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote

august, desolation canyon, trip planner