Old 05-04-2013   #1
South Lake Tahoe, California
Paddling Since: 1984
Deso shuttle? Which one?

Does anyone know which company will actually take your cars and lock them in a fenced yard and then shuttle them down on the actual day of take out? Tired of being ripped happened on Green River/Lodore awhile back.

chocolateotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013   #2
Salida, Colorado
River Runners in Vernal. I used the Green River people and they beat the shit out of my 4-Runnr. drove it in the rain with windows down mud all over interior, ran it so rough knocked the rear window off the track. All to save like $10-20.

No amount of money is worth your free time!
whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013   #3
South Lake Tahoe, California
Paddling Since: 1984
Anyone ever flown w Retail Aviation? Thinking about driving our own, flying back up...we have a small group-- Is there a safe place to park 3 cars near takeout if we do this?
chocolateotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013   #4
Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Red tail was awesome, the flight was almost as much fun as the river trip!
ngeoym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013   #5
jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1976
We unloaded at sand wash and drove to swaseys. Then we walked back to sand wash. It took three days but it was a lot of fun. It was almost better than Deso. Our vehicles were safe and sound at the takeout. Whatever you do Deso is a great trip .Dont miss the space cube!!
stuntsheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013   #6
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
I always use River Runners, but I did do the plane shuttle once. It made my trip a day longer because of me driving to Green River, but the flight was pretty cool! I'd say do the plane at least once and then call River Runners for a quick and hassle free shuttle.

I am using them in a month
-ALEX [ youtube ][ my boat ][ ]
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013   #7
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Another vote for RiverRunners out of Vernal.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013   #8
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
For the OP, no one that I know of will pick up your car on launch day and then keep it locked up until delivering it on your take-out day. The roughnecks and associated culture that have swarmed into Vernal for the gas fields have made the Split Mountain takeout a little higher-risk than it used to be. Swasey's seems pretty safe still. If you fly, you'll need to get to the airport, which is actually south of Green River by a little bit, and requires another shuttle just to pick up all your vehicles.

I know River Runners has gone above and beyond for many people, but the drivers have also "confused" gas money and tip money and left a friend's car at Swasey's running on fumes 2 years in a row, and have pushed my truck up to higher RPMs empty than it took me to get over from Denver fully loaded, and then told me I was lying when I called to give them feedback. (not complain, just inform so they could talk to their drivers). My take-away is that if you aren't driving your own car yourself, it's a crap shoot. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #9
Lewistown, middle of MT
Paddling Since: 1982
Another vote for RiverRunners out of Vernal. Top notch!
If you lean over to watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you, you will suddenly know everything there is to be known. Winnie the Pooh
mtriverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #10
Old Guy in a PFD
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
Vote for Red Tail.

The flight surely makes the trip more memorable.

The pilots are a bit hot shot, willing to fly the edge, but you haven't seen the canyon until you've flown over and then floated through.

Well worth the price and effort.

Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote