Old 06-12-2013   #11
Missoula, Montana
[QUOTE="Wavewrangler;321799"]We just had a horrible experience with Gil at green river shuttles. DO NOT USE THEM FOR ANY REASON! Our cars were not at the take out and when we called him he said he was 45 minutes out of green river and didn't realize we were going to be there. An hour and a half he shows up at swayzes with 4 rigs that are not ours with 4 obviously tweaked out drivers. He can't figure out who we even are he is so messed up. He starts pacing the ramp and blinking his googly eyes. And reaches into his pocket and asks if this was our key. It was!! He said I've been carrying this around for days wondering who's it was. That's when my blood began to boil our cars were still at sand wash. While he was was trying to figure out what to do he said to my wife and a couple other women on our trip to "get out of my hair you F-ers" and if you back me in a corner I'm going to tell you all to F off. Not a lot we could do. He loaded all our stuff in someone else's rigs and drove us to green river to wait at Rays while figured out what to do. He decided hours later to strand us at the motel 6 while he and his meth buddies ran the shuttle. He wouldn't drive us to sand wash to get our own cars because he wouldn't have to give us a refund because he technically ran the shuttle. At 2 in the morning when he finally got back he said we couldn't wait until we slept to unload all our stuff from someone else's trailer. If you know anyone who ran Deso June 7-13ish and owned a white excursion with Mississippi plates or white Tundra or a white 4runner tell them GIL at Green river shuttles used them to drive another groups stuff piled to the brim! DON'T GET GIL'D in GREEN RIVER with your Deso shuttle.

Wavewrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #12
South Lake Tahoe, California
Paddling Since: 1984
Oh my sorry for your predicament, but I am still laughing at this story...I am sure it was absolutely not funny at the time!! We are a small trip (6), so are running our own shuttle and using Red Tail to fly least our cars will be at the end when we get there...

chocolateotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #13
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by View Post

I know River Runners has gone above and beyond for many people, but the drivers have also "confused" gas money and tip money and left a friend's car at Swasey's running on fumes 2 years in a row, and have pushed my truck up to higher RPMs empty than it took me to get over from Denver fully loaded, and then told me I was lying when I called to give them feedback. (not complain, just inform so they could talk to their drivers). My take-away is that if you aren't driving your own car yourself, it's a crap shoot.
We passed River Runners transport group on the sand wash road through the construction section a week ago. They all drove in a convoy with a lead car being their own van. The emergency flashing lights were on, their speed was very slow for the road conditions. My buddy reset his chip in his nice truck and overall they went 77mph as highest speed and normal RPMs. I've trusted Melanie and Ed from River Runners for over 7 years now with my vehicles and they do a great job.

Regarding the airplane shuttle. I did enjoy it once myself and I am glad I did it at least once. It definitely adds a day to your trip and you have to drive the vehicle yourself and then get yourself from Swasey's to airport or arrange a local shuttle for your car to get to Swasey's from airport (is what I did). However, it was really neat to see the river from above and do the hike down to Sand Wash. I would not do it again, because RRT is so convenient and cheap, but I would recommend to do the flight at least once.
-ALEX [ youtube ][ my boat ][ ]
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013   #14
Galax, Virginia
Paddling Since: 1974
The Red tail flight is very neat and should be experienced at least once. You rig up at the put in the day before launch then drive to the airport and camp there. Stargazing at the airport is horizon to horizon. We have left the boats overnight at the put in with nobody there to watch them. Just tell the rangers and other boaters there to watch them. Have your vehicles shuttled from the airport to the take out. Upon landing, there is a 30 minute hike to the river

richierivertrip is offline   Reply With Quote