Old 07-20-2011   #1
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2010

The water is coming down on the Green now and I'm pretty sure the bug are coming up. I'm launching on Aug. 7th and looking for any first hand information on just how buggy it is now.

el-duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #2
Pilot Point, Texas
Paddling Since: 1998
We came off July 1st and all I can say is 99% deet AND mosquito net clothing!!!

tturpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #3
Boy Howdy!
Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
C ame off July 12th. biblical proportions at put in, pretty bad at camp 1, bad at camp 2, not so bad at camp 3, camp 4 was when you stop caring camp 5 hornets and ants to deal with
Who's your monkey?
pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #4
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2010
Thanks for your reply. I figure better to know and be as ready as possible. As the launch gets closer I'd still be grateful for any current bug reports. Peace
el-duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011   #5
Austin, Texas
Paddling Since: 1990
I took off a Deso-Grey trip July 3rd, we did a 7 day float. At the put-in the mosquitos are f@(%ing so bad! The Ranger said that they will be worse when the water drops! Take light weight loose long pants, shoes and socks, long shirt sprayed heavly w/ 100% Deet, a mosquito head net and a flame thrower! I rigged out my cat in shorts, s/s tee shirt, and flip flops and was on the verge of commiting a serious crime after about 2-3 hours of the torment! Mosquitos don't bother me normally. I haven't worn any bug spray in 17-20 years.When I do another trip, I would rig out in the late afternoon the day before an hour or 2 away from the put in and camp there. Trailer the raft to the boat ramp in the morning (rigged), do the put in talk and leave as soon as it is over! The only thing you will need to do then is wash the dust off your rig after you launch. if you can't do this, take lots of beer and whiskey so you can laugh it off. Day/night one we got down around mile 80 (House Rock Bottom) they where still real bad! Night 2 on the river, we really only saw a few but basically they where gone. That was about 25 miles down from Sand wash. The rest of the trip was perfect! But the put in is pure hell! Never had a river trip w/ a mosquito problem like that!

Have a good float broth'a and don't pet the Bears, Brett
liquidphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011   #6
Summit County, Colorado
Liquidphoto, we're launching Aug. 20. My husband had an intense bear encounter two years ago at Rock Creek Ranch while on a solo trip. Where did you see the bears on your trip? This will be his fifth time down Deso and my fourth. Also, thanks for all of the bug info!
summitraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011   #7
Pine Junction/Bailey, Colorado
Thanks for the info. Have an August 1 launch. We have room for a few more to go.
Sissel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011   #8
Screen cabins?

Are the screen cabins effective or do skeeters just get trapped inside? We've got more kids than adults, and though the camping away from the rio and rigging there seems prudent, a dry camp with a large-ish group may not save us much anguish. Thoughts? We launch aug. 4th. Thx
Surfmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011   #9
Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
screen cabins

When we did deso three years ago the screen cabins were pretty legit. We had a group of twelve, 5 of which were kids, and the cabins were a phenomenal choice for the first night. It would have been miserable without it.
ngeoym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011   #10
This all sounds like par for the course at Sand Wash. Every time I've been down there it's about as bad as it can get this side of Alaska. Ultrathon, buzz off (permethrin to treat your own clothes) and nets for the kids go a long way.

Screen cabins are the only way to go if you can reserve them this late. A few skeeters might get trapped inside but it's a small price to pay versus what's out the door! A couple families can sleep in one so if it's a big group we've always had multiple. You'll definitely want to eat in there as well. They have picnic tables inside and the kids will want to hang out there while you rig.

Just like LiqPhoto described 26 miles down is Jack Creek which is where the relief generally starts and the canyon begins. If you don't mind a long ass flatwater day row down to there on the first day. Camping above there with kids can be brutal. Then take a layover at somewhere with a kick ass beach like Log Cabin and they'll be super happy. Most groups who go that far on day one will motor but we rowed it last year at lower flows than this and while long it was doable. Way better than the year before when we camped upstream on night one and got clobbered for a second night. After Jack Creek things tend to get better although sometimes biting flies start to then be an issue.

Also, get a couple candles and one or two of those Thermacell's for the kitchen area. They work pretty well. The clip on deals work ok if you are just hanging in a chair. Thermacell can be a little invisible force field around the kitchen.

enjoy the trips, looks like great flows right now!

Osprey is online now   Reply With Quote