Old 07-23-2011   #11
Austin, Texas
Paddling Since: 1990
Hey Summerraftgirl, we saw 1 male adult bear crossing the river while we where camped at river right, just above Chandler Falls Rapid. I have a pic of him i'll try to post of him. Then 2 days later we had just got back from doing a side hike out of Last Chance Canyon, my nieces where waiting on my raft and they pointed out 1 mother bear and 2 cubs just on the other side of the river! I have a decent shot of them also I'll try to post soon. We saw prob around 16 Desert Big Horn Sheep, many where very young. We saw only 1 Ram (solo). 1 Rattle snake at Nefertiti.
Sissel- Sounds tempting!
Ya'all all have a great trip and have your camera ready!

liquidphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011   #12
Boy Howdy!
Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
I would definatly get a cabin. You shouldtry to reserve it now as a couple of the were flooded and mudded out from high water and I do not know if they got them dryed out as of yet.

Who's your monkey?
pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011   #13
Thanks for the help...

We did get a couple of screen houses reserved. Any others with more recent Deso skeeter reports are very welcome and appreciated!
Surfmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #14
Silt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
bump... launching in 9 days, any more trips reports??
Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #15
Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Benefit the billions upon billions of mo-skeeters, ranger check goes very quick. Don't camp at put in if you can avoid it!
mustloverafting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #16
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by Moon View Post
bump... launching in 9 days, any more trips reports??
Just got off last Sunday, bugs weren't bad at all, not what I expected. We stayed at Jack Creek. Had candles burning and sprayed with OFF and we were good. Just don't go into the woods to gather firewood, they were bad there. I had to put on a head net to see my steps.

Sandwash was bad at night, my buddy stayed there a night before. During the day the bugs weren't bad at all. I was there from 10-noon and maybe saw 2-3 bugs.

We stayed at Log Cabin and Wirefence and both sites had practically no bugs at all.

I was very excited to see those conditions.
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011   #17
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1982
We put on on the 21st and took out on the 27th. Bugs were bad early at Sand Wash but by midday were gone. Camping was hit and miss but not at all bad. First night we camped on a small sand island, by Sumners, we were only seven strong. Bugs bothered us a little around sunset and then left us alone. The rest of the trip the camps were better if you stayed on a beach and out of the trees, again after sunset the bugs were gone. The bugs were horrible at the Flat Canyon Petroglyph panel and a few other places but really tolerable for the rest of the trip. Jack Creek 2 was fine to camp at if you did not go to far back into the trees. Groover placement is key. By the river, away from heavy brush. Camps after Jack Creek were below Flat Canyon Rapid on a beach, river left, we had a permit. Three Canyon Beach Camp, Below Wire Fence (both river right, both nice beaches) and the last night was below Rattlesnake, on river left, again a good beach. Jack Creek, Wire Fence and Rattlesnake were all fast water sights. Not hard to get into, but just make sure you have a beach stake and are tied off well. No bears, about a dozen big horns(one dead) and only two scorpions, one big, one not so big. Have a great trip, my fourteen year old son took his own boat down and enjoyed every minute.
cragmug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011   #18
Silt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Thanks guys
Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011   #19
Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
We have a launch this Friday - any recent updates on the bugs? Thanks.
jasonpgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011   #20
Pine Junction/Bailey, Colorado
Got off the river Sunday. The mosquitos were bad at Sand Wash and 1st camp site. 1st camp site was about 15 miles past put-in, though I don't remember the name of it. After that, the trip was pretty much mosquito free.

Sissel is offline   Reply With Quote