Old 05-13-2011   #1
eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Deso at really high water

Hi all, we have a Deso permit for June 11. I was looking at the flow forecasts this AM and it looks like it could possibly be as high as 50-60,000 CFS. Any thoughts from folks who have run it at 40,000++?
We did it at about this same time 3 years ago, it was 23,400 when we launched. I'm guessing that most of the rapids will be washed out at these higher levels. Am I right or is there anything that might get bigger? What about camps? Are there any left?
Thanks in advance for any info. Jim.

flyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011   #2
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Discussed here: Deso Gray at high water?

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011   #3
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
flyfish, at that time you should see a lot more TRs from some of us who are going end of June. It will help clear up the planning for early June launches.

So far the prediction is fast water, lots of debris from Yampa, big eddie lines and whirlpools.
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011   #4
cedar city, Utah
Not sure how many folks have seen 40k. 43,000 cfs is the record in Deso according to the USGS site. That was in 1897.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011   #5
I did a couple of trips at peak in high water years 20-30 years ago. Can not really speak for the new rapid, as I have not seen it, but we ran everything else on that river in a ducky. There was an early rapid on the left that stood me straight up in a 15ft boat... single feature if I remember. Coal creek had a mammoth hole in it that was easily avoided... actually took me several tries to get into it in my kayak.

To the point, I would not worry about high water on deso... it accepts large flows well and never gets real ugly, just faster and more fun.
festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011   #6
eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Thanks for the info. We look forward to your trip reoprts later this month. I'll put one up when we are back.
flyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011   #7
cedar city, Utah
Peak is going to be late this year. We are still having unseasonably cold and wet weather across the region. Unless we see a warming spell we may not see flows above 25k on my trip starting May 22. Bummed.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011   #8
Moab River Guide
deso water

I just got back from a 20k commercial trip lots of good camps still we averaged about 6 and a half miles an hour past jack creek and that was not touching the oars. And cow swim is easier than the last couple of years there is a right line, but scout carefuly there is a hidden hole down low on the right only go that way if you are trying to hit the camp.

true dat
takilla is offline   Reply With Quote