Old 08-24-2010   #1
Manhattan Beach, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1975
Current (aug 2010) takeout options for Grand Canyon

We have a private permit launching 6.22.10. The shuttle service says trips that go past Diamond Creek are mostly taking out at Pearce Ferry now (a new road extension to a new ramp was opened in May 2010).

Has anyone:
1) used this takeout? Comments?

2) gone beyond, thru the new rapid below PF, to South Cove? Comments?

thanks for helping our trip planning

keith beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010   #2
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Originally Posted by keith beck View Post
We have a private permit launching 6.22.10.
I think you missed your launch...

I just talked to an outfitter about our trip later in the year and she said no one is going beyond the Pearce Ferry TO. Pearce Ferry rapid has become a monster. It was big late '08 when I was there before, don't want anything to do with it this year. I was told that cars can be left at PF the day before your scheduled takeout.

Read the story of the people that did a night float and almost didn't make it to shore: Huck Finn Thread - Nightfloat

I also recommend joining the GCPBA YahooGroup.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010   #3
Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Pearce Ferry rapid is somewhat of a monster. It certainly looks like a widowmaker. But, it is runnable to the left. (I won't give detail because you need to scout it yourself and decide on your own line. Obviously. Goes without saying). You need at least one ball of steel to enter that rapid.

The big problem is that if you're committed to the rapid and a South Cove takeout, then while you're scouting PF you may very well get the feeling of, "Oh shit! Why didn't we stop the trip above this f***er?"

Hmmmm.....Maybe you'd be able to make a call and have your pickup changed. But, I don't think camping as allowed at PF while you wait.

Most people by far, I'd guess, would now say that with the PF takeout available there is no particular benefit to the SC takeout, since at PF you've completed the entire 277 mile GC distance. Unless you want to run that rapid and/or swim in warm Lake Mead water later some 12 miles and 4-6 hours later.
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010   #4
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
We took out at Pearce Ferry in June. The road is paved and well-maintained. There is a scat machine/ restrooms/ large de-rigging area/ and a little town within 20 miles (maybe less?).

We walked down to check out the rapid- it is a nasty beast. Everyone in my party agreed that it is potentially runnable on the left with a strong oarsman; it looks more challenging than anything else on the Grand. It also appears possible to line the boats on the right over a 14' pourover drop with a fairly large FU rock below it.

The current stops just below the rapid though, so with the nice new TO at Pearce Ferry, I don't see a reason to go to South Cove.
"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote