Old 04-07-2009   #11
Eldorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I imagine they are pretty tough at 1400, but with 1/3 of the flow, they are fine for a class IV boater. Except tunnel meat line. you gotta have a boof and I didn't . Pyrite resulted in a kayak shish-ka-bob for our group.

jaansdornea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009   #12
Silverdale, Washington
Pyrite meat line actually goes without it being sticky if you hit the line correctly. Gore meat isn't bad. Tunnel has a rightside sneak sneak if you dont' want the meat, or it did at 425ish. Paddle in/out will be bad though, it was low enough at that level. All in all, it's pretty gentle.

CO_Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009   #13
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Kirschbaums was rocky in a raft at Gorefest last year, what was the flow? 725-775cfs maybe a bit more? Not sure I would motivate for much lower flows. I think I heard someone say that indecision rock gets trickier and a lot more likely to wrap a raft at lower flows. Whose rafted gore at low levls? Any beta? deepsouthpaddler and CO_Patrick - could I get a raft through at 425ish? Or would it be a carry fest?

Cross could be interesting, haven't done that one yet and it is on the list. It will probably be warmer weather over there compared to Kremmling. It is at a boatable level already, and it generally peaks early.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009   #14
moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 08
id be interested in cross. wherever we could get a raft down, and bring the rage at camp with some crazy paddlers...

i only hang out with cute river chicks- sean you know this
we might be hippies, but at least my girls arent dirty
cant speak for the boys...

lets motivate, kids its almost commercial season!
just because it's diet don't mean it's good for you!
junkshowriverchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009   #15
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
gore will probably be too low. Cross will be on. I'm down. Got any room on the raft for girls that don't yak?
iliketohike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #16
Silverdale, Washington
Raftus, I am by no means an adequate judge on anything rafting related, but I think R2ing is marginally possible in the canyon. Definitely would be some scraping or carrying going on. I can't imagine the paddle in/out being anything other than a carryfest at the current flows though. Personally I'd recommend against it until the flows come up a bit, but I'd love to see someone give it a go anyway.

Cross is fun, and certainly beautiful. Definitely need to check it off your list. If you can't make it this week/weekend, you should go next weekend for the pre-VC kickoff at Cross.
Old 04-08-2009   #17
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
co patrick. which would be the meat line on pyrite. the nasty on the right or airplane boof move to the left.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #18
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Yo raftus, I think 350-400's would be a pain in the ass in a raft. The river channelizes nicely for kayaks, with many of the familiar ledges becoming rocky slots with narrow channels kayaks can navigate. I'd guess a raft would get hung up on the entrance to gore, possibly in gore proper, going over pyrite, and likely in kirshbaums. Cross sounds like a much better options for rafts, or westwater early season desert sandstone.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #19
Silverdale, Washington
Mike, I'm talking about the right side on Pyrite. To me the hole looks a bit sticky, but maybe that's because I'm unwilling to go in it to find out. You can line up to the left of the hole though and avoid it with a good boof.

The airplane boof on the left side of Pyrite isn't so much a boof as it is rock sliding with minimal water added, at the current flows.

cross mountain, gore canyon